No announcement yet.

69' 3 Bar grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not completely John... Aside from the lousy photos, the two lids still seem the same to my un-educated eye, except that mine does not have the bolts fitted at the bottom on bars 2 and 4. It does have the holes at the bottom, however. Which would a 3-bar fit?

Talk to you Sunday hopefully.

Comment

This is clearer on mine John.
      Attached Files

Comment

Merv I think that there should be protruding tabs for the bars, either side of the centre bar in a 5 bar grille, to rest on via the rubber 'pads' on the underside of those bars. You can see that neither of those bars is supported in both lids - the rubber pads on your lid are not resting on any support. The pads have been removed from the other grille. John has mentioned that there are 6 tabs on both grilles but the centre ones seem to be quite different from the others. In any case there do not appear to be any tabs adjacent to the bars on the bottom side of the aperture. The tabs on the top side of the aperture seem to be to strengthen the lid around the wiper shaft hole.

I think that when John restored his engine lid, which was a 5 bar lid, he cut off the tabs that would have supported the bars on either side of the centre bar so as to emulate the lids made for 3 bar grilles.

In other words both lids seem to be 3 bar lids.

Comment

That seems a great summary thanks Jock. I had also noticed those pads. Yes - now to get a 3-bar swap, if possible!

Comment

I can see that your lid is correct Merv, and very likely the original.
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks John. I was pretty sure that it was. Having looked at all the threads on this topic on ESR and PP, this one is (now) the most comprehensive, I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by jock69t View Post
                I think that when John restored his engine lid, which was a 5 bar lid, he cut off the tabs that would have supported the bars on either side of the centre bar so as to emulate the lids made for 3 bar grilles
                Spot on Jock.

My lid was rusted out and beyond my skills to save it. I scored a 71> lid and the only difference is the extra 4 tabs. I removed them and dressed the metal to be identical to the original lid.

The other interesting thing with these lids is the cut-outs for the number plate lights. The early G series cars have them but they are blanked out, by '75 the lids have the pressed boss, but aren't cut out.

I have two 'correct' lids for 68 with correct grills. One with centre spine and one without. Can't decide which one to use...
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                X