No announcement yet.

Patrick's 1973 Martini RSR recreation Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

long time no update. Not that that much has really happened, but sufficient for a quick update.

I have received the parts I mentioned last time, and those rear arches are huuuuge!
    arches.jpg

I also stumbled upon a set of RSR swaybars on ebay that came from the same batch Mike used for his awesome '107' Martini replica:
    Swaybar01.jpg

Then someone on the early911s forum sold this thick leather rim 380mm steering wheel that I just needed to have; the right patina, but re-leathered with the correct stitching. Details!
    wheel.jpg

and finally, two weeks ago i did buy myself the RSR shortened trailing arms I've been looking for for such a long, long time. Clyde, I ignored your advise and did buy 'm off Ben Coles in the UK; he's bad in responding, but did deliver the goods:
    rsr-arms1.jpg
    1973 911T Coupe
    1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

In the mean time the work on the car continued. I have got the car raised, and have finally got the full interior (incl. pedal-cluster) emptied, disconnected the brake-lines and took the calipers off, the anti-roll bars, emptied (finally)all the fluids and continued the labour-intensive work of getting the PVC protection off the car.
      Slow going, but we'll get there:
      1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I am scraping off the pvc, then use my dremel to carefully sand it, and finally spray some paint on it to protect it from rusting.
      Not sure if this is required, but I've been told that sanding wouldn't work if the pvc protection layer would still be on. So, only 12 to 15 days of hard labour to go....
      1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by patrick911 View Post
        long time no update. Not that that much has really happened, but sufficient for a quick update.

I have received the parts I mentioned last time, and those rear arches are huuuuge!
        arches.jpg

I also stumbled upon a set of RSR swaybars on ebay that came from the same batch Mike used for his awesome '107' Martini replica:
        Swaybar01.jpg

Then someone on the early911s forum sold this thick leather rim 380mm steering wheel that I just needed to have; the right patina, but re-leathered with the correct stitching. Details!
        wheel.jpg

and finally, two weeks ago i did buy myself the RSR shortened trailing arms I've been looking for for such a long, long time. Clyde, I ignored your advise and did buy 'm off Ben Coles in the UK; he's bad in responding, but did deliver the goods:
        rsr-arms1.jpg
        Consider yourself very very lucky Patrick

I have his parts too but had to get someone else to intervene to get them!!!
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

This is coming together very nicely Patrick!
          Tom Laube
          Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
          VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Dry ice and a scraper works well to get the coating off... Can't wait to see it done!

Comment

So slow going, but finally the rear interior is now PVC free.
              Glad to see that the little rust on the underside of the rear-side windows and on the bar above the rear-window was just surface rust.
              On the other hand - how quickly would this rust have come through if I hadn't embarked on a bare-shell rebuild?
              So far so good, no real structural or major rust bits, other than the rear-parcel, for which I already bought a replacement from Dansk.

First pic shows all of the pvc removed, second one shows the primer being added to protect the bare metal from further rusting until I sand the full shell.

IMG_1737 - small.JPGIMG_1738 - small.JPG

Up next, foot-well. O joy....
              1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Searching for hard-to-find parts can be hard work, but if you do land that special part, it's soooo good!
                this week, I received the 1970-1972 lightweight, reduced height 914-6 mirror that can be seen in some of the Martini RSR detail pictures.
                Small stuff, but it's these details that make a project like this so much fun.
                And yes, just like the steering wheel i recently bought, this one shows it is not brand new - exactly the way I like it!
                IMG_0739.jpg73_Porsche_RSR_DV-07_014.jpg
                Last edited by patrick911; 11-01-18, 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling
                1973 911T Coupe

Comment

ccol stuff Patrick
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

And at this rate you’ll be on the road before Clyde!!!

Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

No he won't
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Nice

Comment

Finally, the car is on the dolly and the engine is out. Finally had a mate over which made it all relative light work.
                          Spend last two weekends getting the rear suspension off the car, and received another pack of goodies from overseas; the brackets for the shortened trailing arms, hood prop and (I just couldn't resist when i came across one) a replica Heinzmann fire-extinguisher. I put the thing together last night and will keep it in the open shed, so it can age a bit....

Next job, front suspension removal and continue with the PVC underseal and seam-sealer protection. What a job....
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 3 photos.
                          1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Impressive stuff. Attention to detail makes all the difference.

Comment

Yes, that's why it's progressing quite slow. Another item i received a few weeks ago: the "REPA" replica 4-point safety harness; it's the same one that Clyde has in his immaculate ST rep, so pretty chuffed with this one too.
                              Hell, it even looks good in my yellow T

(@final installation I will have to put them under the headrest though....)
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              1973 911T Coupe

Comment

Patrick

Did you get a raise last week?

Spend it here

911 RSR OEM Engine Parts Lot - Price: $80,000 I'm offering for sale the following group of factory 911 RSR race engine parts. 911 RSR BOSCH MFI Racing Fuel Pump. Restored/PFI 911 RSR Flexible Fuel Lines Set. New. 911 RSR Magnesium Center Lube Cam Covers. NOS, OEM. 911 RSR Center Lube Seals. NOS, OEM.
                                Clyde Boyer
                                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X