No announcement yet.

Australia's First 911 and 2nd ever RHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I see this debate raging for ever and Stew not getting a lot of sleep currently
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
      Wow I see this debate raging for ever and Stew not getting a lot of sleep currently
      Not at all Clyde ! Not much to debate.

I researched the history of the early cars years ago and was able to get the Kardex's for the first four RHD's so know all the details of them all quite intimately. I've known where the Vic demonstrator Hamilton's car was for over 20 years- the owner also has a super low mile 3.0 Turbo too....

'119' is the first Aussie RHD car in that it was ordered in 1963 by Ron Angas straight after the 901's release at the Frankfurt IAA Motor Show that year and simply was the first RHD car off a boat and registered in Australia. It was also delivered earlier - only just - than any UK car, too....& I have the list of them also.

Angas was special Porsche guy, as he owned the first ever RHD Porsche made, the fish silver '51 Cabriolet that was at Rennsport this year.

The real question is....where is the silver with red 4th car.....?

Comment

The other question is what was yellow car thatwasdelivered to the Governor General on 29 sept 1965 less than 2 months after Stewart's car and seemingly before others in the first batch of 6 cars to come here.
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Well this thread shows that we belong to a broad church where differing opinions are respected and can be aired. I was never expecting everyone to agree with me

I’m not trying to diminish the significance of any of the early cars in this discussion. Each are hugely significant to the history of Porsche in Australia. In fact I’d love to organise something where the cars, their owners and fellow early 911 enthusiasts could meet up and shoot the breeze.

However I regard 475 as the first 911, based solely on its build date, and chassis number.

This doesn’t belittle the Angus car in the slightest. Its order date and delivery / retail date is undoubtedly the first, but to call it the first 911 is drawing a long bow. It’s like saying (hypothetically) that Gmund 356 #40 is the first 356 on the basis that it was ordered and or delivered to a private customer, while the factory used Number 1 as a demonstrator and press car, and that it (#1) wasn’t sold to an individual until a year later.

We know where probably 4 of the first 7 911’s are (the silver / grey car, the Angus ( Stewart’s) car, the aga blue 65 (previously owned by Stewart), #474 (UK). If we could find the missing car and the Lord Casey car how cool would that be?

A reunion where we recreate late 1965 or 1966 in Melbourne or Sydney perhaps? Or wherever the other cars are found?

JR
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post

However I regard 475 as the first 911, based solely on its build date, and chassis number.

This doesn’t belittle the Angus car in the slightest. Its order date and delivery / retail date is undoubtedly the first, but to call it the first 911 is drawing a long bow.

JR
            I disagree entirely. BTW I've never called '119' the 'first 911' rather the 'first RHD Aussie 911 delivered' - infact it's the first car delivered to a customer in a RHD market. I'm not a chassis anorak rather it's the car's history that really interests me.

Angas was a Porsche VIP customer having owned the first RHD Porsche ever, and it's documented that he ordered the car that became '119' by requesting a car in '63 and sending an order with a deposit to Hamiltons in April '64. So likely earlier than the Hamiltons order. It was the first RHD car off a boat in Aus and the first to be registered with Aussie plates, and the first RHD 911 to take to our Aussie roads.....noting the Hamilton car arrived on Aussie soil four or five months later. Hey if an earlier build date nullifies this history for some then that's fine by me.....I know which car I'd rather be custodian of.
            Last edited by 1st; 08-06-16, 01:47 PM. Reason: Spell'g

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
              Well this thread shows that we belong to a broad church where differing opinions are respected and can be aired. I was never expecting everyone to agree with me

I’m not trying to diminish the significance of any of the early cars in this discussion. Each are hugely significant to the history of Porsche in Australia. In fact I’d love to organise something where the cars, their owners and fellow early 911 enthusiasts could meet up and shoot the breeze.

This doesn’t belittle the Angus car in the slightest. Its order date and delivery / retail date is undoubtedly the first, but to call it the first 911 is drawing a long bow. It’s like saying (hypothetically) that Gmund 356 #40 is the first 356 on the basis that it was ordered and or delivered to a private customer, while the factory used Number 1 as a demonstrator and press car, and that it (#1) wasn’t sold to an individual until a year later.

We know where probably 4 of the first 7 911’s are (the silver / grey car, the Angus ( Stewart’s) car, the aga blue 65 (previously owned by Stewart), #474 (UK). If we could find the missing car and the Lord Casey car how cool would that be?

A reunion where we recreate late 1965 or 1966 in Melbourne or Sydney perhaps? Or wherever the other cars are found?

JR
              Imagine how interesting it would get if people decided to count the '64/65 912 RHD cars as significant

Comment

Good point Chris.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

The more the merrier!
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

When was the first 912 Chris? Just to spice things up!

Comment

My 2c is that the fact it was the only 901 painted in Stone grey and a very early RHD makes it more than unique enough

Comment

I always thought it ran on build date, whether sold or not?

Comment

I don't know the answer to that Jim, however since everything, including gearbox, brakes and suspension was the same as the 911 cars (except the motor of course) it must have led to some interesting exchanges.
                          Of about 500 912 cars built in the first batch it is suggested that fewer than 50 of them were RHD.
                          I have lifted this quote from the internet.

Another option available for 912s of all model years, including 1965, was a sunroof, however very few 912s came equipped as such. Reportedly, when new the cost of a sunroof 912 was actually within range of a 911. It has been speculated that only the Porsche factory could equip a 9-series body with a sunroof, whereas Porsche’s preference was to utilize subcontracted car bodies built by Karmann for 912 production, hence any sunroof 912 meant one less body would be available for a more profitable 911, thus to offset this loss Porsche charged for sunroof 912s accordingly.

Comment

Jim are you asking when did 912's go into production (euro Spring)? Or the prototype 912's, or where is the first 912 or RHD 912?

I do appreciate my Fryers wry comments... First 912's are MY65. No 64 cars. Though not to say a prototype was tooling round Stuttgart in late 64.

I've heard the 50 or so number before, which if we apply our man maths suggest we got maybe 10% of that number in 65. However over the last year I've tallied up close to 10 '65 912's unless owners are confusing the change of date and have 65 build (MY66) cars

Either way great cars and they're finally getting their dues
                            Last edited by Michel; 09-06-16, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Guys. This is is really great info to read. I love the history and provenance
                              discussions. More please!!

btw - and notwithstanding the different interpretations - it can get a bit confusing (VIN numbers, rego numbers, dates made, dates shipped, dates delivered, dates sold, dates registered) - Is all this info contained in the "document database" section??
                              Mark Evans
                              1966 912 5 gauge
                              1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

What is a shame for those of sartorial leanings and calibre to enjoy a 912 (and 914) , been porsche never put into prod the OHC 4 cyl they briefly flirted with...till now

Comment

Working...
                                X