X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spares manual
    901 559 431 25 & 901 559 432 25 are the open grille factory pt#s
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrar; 06-08-16, 09:20 AM.
    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

1968s

Curiouser and curiouser....

The early SWB history is interesting. Interested in anyone thoughts around these items.

1. Were below bumper fog lights std on 1968 911S (references say they were std for 67 911S but do not say for 68) - found a price list that states "halogen fog lights" were std on a 1968S but the part# is 9292 which is the rear fog lights. So pointing towards front fog lights not being std equipment but an option. Mrar's brochure states Quartz iodine fog lights as std on the 68S - picture shows front fog lamps - but is the std equipment actually rear lights?

2. How were the 1968 fuchs painted - narrow or wider black (everything points towards wider black only in 1968)

3. Rocker trim wide or narrow on 1968 S - I see people around the world stating it differs with build date - some with narrow some with wide - some of mervs web links show wide and some show narrow rocker trim. Mrar's brochure shows the wide rocker trim on a 1968S.

4. Headlights - Should not be H4 on such an early car - everyone says H1 but seems that these were a factory option and std would have been "Bosch 4487 tungsten lights"

5. Steering wheel - 420mm leather covered - got one of these now.

6. Above bumper driving lights - mounted with std horn grills or open grills - seems to be variable with dates.
      Attached Files

Comment

Robin

You have to be very careful using US sources on 68S's (actually all early cars unless you have a US one) 68S's were not imported to the US and anyway for things light lights the US DOT rules were very different to what applied in Europe and here.
        On top of that 68's in general were a "transition year" with all sorts of one year only parts on them.
        Eric linden's father (auto foreign) imported grey market 911's to the US from Ben pon in holland so would have had some S's probably but that was the only way they could get into the country and even then they would have had to be changed to meet local laws - especially lights.
        You need to see some European brochures for what happened there BUT that may be different again to what was 'standard' in Australia
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Porsche Australia may help there. One of the threads in my post had all the 68 variations. How are your door cards? They are rare and hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
            Porsche Australia may help there. One of the threads in my post had all the 68 variations. How are your door cards? They are rare and hard to find.
            Not if you have friends in the '68 circle of trust

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
              Porsche Australia may help there. d.
              not likely as 1968 is slightly earlier than the current stock so they don't have the reference material
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Ha ha. They are excellent ones.

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                  not likely as 1968 is slightly earlier than the current stock so they don't have the reference material
                  Sadly Hugh. I thought they might have access to the original options list for Australia.

Comment

I finally found some pages from a 1968 options book with these lights and grills in it

It looks like in this brochure at least the horn grills were cut
                    note that the photo is of option 9420 the driving lights

looks like you will have to Contact Eric here http://www.autoforeignservices.com/ and put yourself in line for a set of these horn grills (shown below) and the appropriate lights when they are available again
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by HughH; 06-08-16, 03:05 PM.
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

going back to some of your other queries here is a photo of a 68S wheel from a brochure (posted above as well ) and then a 67 wheel that only has a limited amount of black.
                      also a copy of the outside temperature option that you have (although this was from a 1967 MY brochure)
                      Attached Files
                      Hugh Hodges
                      1973 E
                      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Good info,a few questions answered for you Robin.
                        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks

Yes thanks everyone. Once I get a chance to go over my car I will check switching/wiring etc. and let you know if I find anything interesting.

Comment

Working...
                          X