Messko Tyre Gauge Lens Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messko Tyre Gauge Lens Replacement

Hi Guys, just joined up here so I thought I'd kick off my first post with something that may help some Messko owners.

I recently purchased a dual scale messko gauge from the states pretty cheaply because it had no plastic lens cover. Dial was good and apparently so was the bakelite body. When it arrived though I noticed there was a small fracture in the bakelite, which you could probably get away with but still I knew it was there!

As I needed a new plastic lens, I had also purchased a non porsche Messko in excellent condition, face and Bakelite perfect, just different dial scale and valve attachment (looked like a bicycle one) - $30

I searched and searched all the forums looking for info on correctly disassembling them in case I busted something, and ended up getting some advice from one of the tool experts in the US.

So firstly I had to remove the plastic lens from the bicycle Messko gauge - The way to do this is to get a kitchen hook with a suction cup - I tried a small one which didn't have enough grip so I got a larger size and trimmed it down to the size of the lens with scissors, moistened it and pulled, repeated. Wouldn't budge. Decided to run a small spray of WD40 around the edge of the lens and let that sit for 10 mins, then pulled again and out it came!

I then used a small screwdriver to release the metal clip that runs around where the lens locks in, and then was able to pull the dial gauge out by carefully gripping the hub of the needle and pulling.

I repeated this process of removing the dial and needle on the Porsche gauge (It already had no plastic cover) and saw that the internals were identical.

It then was a simple matter of inserting the dual scale Porsche dial into the other bakelite body. When doing this you need to keep the reset button pressed so you can locate the point of the needle hub into the hole in the housing.

Next I replaced the metal clip that surrounds the dial, then carefully located the plastic lens back into the housing, working from one side and gently flexing it in to place.

Lastly I unscrewed the bicycle valve attachment and screwed in the car valve attachment from the Porsche gauge. Everything is interchangeable.

Ended up with a really nice looking Messko!! Tested it and it worked accurately!

I doubt too many people would need to do surgery like this, but if you have an old Messko that has a badly scratched or cloudy lens, you could simply remove the lens and try plastic polishing it to give it a new lease of life? - Many of the dial faces also seem to get a bit dirty underneath so you can give that a careful clean while you're at it.

Any old similar shaped Messko gauge's plastic lens will fit if you need a replacement

I've attached a few pics of the internals of the gauge in case that's of interest, plus my finished product.

Hope it helps someone!

Cheers

Tim
    Attached Files

Tim,

Great first post, and welcome.

Comment

Nice work Tim. It is good to see innovation working! I bought a Messko for the 911 and it turned out to be correct for my 356. So still on the lookout.
      Last edited by Merv; 01-09-16, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Cheers fellas, I'll have a go at polishing the lens on my other Messko and see how it turns out.....

Comment

That plastic polish they use on motor bike cowlings is good stuff

Comment

Good to see another Bris member - nice first post.

Have you got a pic of the car that goes onto your Messko gauge?

Comment

Thanks Scotty, would be good to catch up at some stage - There's 2 SWB 911 's hiding in the shed -one not looking too pretty at the mo! I'll try and get some shots up tomorrow, both not running unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post

You, of all people asking for pictures

Comment

Ol' Mustard

Originally posted by SM911 View Post

Here's a few pics of Ol Mustard - 66 LHD 911 on Webers. Very original and have a heap of documentation from the previous owners which is cool. Also have a 66 RHD on solexes (very rare as I'm sure you're aware, only 16 known RHD survivors of this vintage) which I brought back from the UK 6 years ago after a working holiday stint over there, when they were relatively cheap. The Vin numbers are only 4 digits apart.
                  Both matching numbers.

Have had them sitting around for 5 years while we built our new house etc and work commitments have prevented me from starting resto work however this year is when I'll get underway!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh, only a couple of highly original 66s then.

What a great stable.

Comment

Lovely early Porsches Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                        Lovely early Porsches Tim.
                        Thanks Merv, and cheers for the tip on the bike guard polish - I found an old bottle of "Koala Plastic Polish" and gave that a go - came up pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by DJ911 View Post
                          Oh, only a couple of highly original 66s then.

What a great stable.
                          Thanks Dirk - half of me just want's to get Ol mustard running, then worry about bodywork stuff later.....

Comment

Interiors

few interior shots.. The RHD has an old school Webasto Vinyl sunroof which I'll remove, looks pretty average. There's nothing on the COA or the Kardex to say it was dealer fitted, and apparently AFN in London had a fire which destroyed old vehicle records at some stage, so I'll never know. That later model steering wheel will be for sale down the track - not sure exactly which model it's for but I'm guessing early 70's as the car has had a "modernisation" procedure at some time in it's life with chrome painted black, incorrect black 5 bar engine grille etc.
                            LHD interior is pretty rough but has almost all the original components....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Lovely patina on that leftie. Would be good catch up at some stage in Brassie. Another member has a spot on 67 (late 66 build) that you will want to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X