Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1969T is For Sale

Ad Edited

Looking at selling my Aussie delivered 1969t… VIN 119010045 and matching number engine.

Our sea-change from Brisbane to Port Macquarie has prompted me to assess my needs. I intend to get my US delivered 68L fully sorted and log-booked for GroupS as well as being capable on the road. And I can’t use two 911s.

I will include the beta WEVO SPS bearing swing arms - these allow almost frictionless travel. These arms are not currently available to the market. There are Elephant “spherical” bearings on the front and a 21/28 torsion bar combo. It is a very comfortable ride and superior to original.

The original matching numbered 2.0 engine and 901 gearbox are included. Sportomatic gearbox also comes with the car. It would be possible to put it all back in, but it would be a big job, and the issues that prompted me to remove the sporto including vacuum line/diaphragm leaks and a cactus torque converter remain. But it’s all there for prosperity. The engine was healthy and running when removed 12 years ago. It has been stored well and still turns over by hand. I'm sure it will run stright off, but consider it a full rebuild proposition if you’re of a mind to improve it.

The guards are SC and butt welded properly. To return the car to original profile would require rear guards and deep sixes. The current 15” x 7&8 fuchs would defray a lot of the cost of sourcing sixes if that was the preference.

The interior is quality with correct Haargarn wool carpets, leather and tartan Nurburgring seats, and a new black headliner. Steering wheel is a double leather wrapped RSR style with puck and RSR extended hub. Instruments completely refurbished by NHS in SoCal. There is also a lovely 917 replica balsa knob on the wevo shifter.

Pretty much everything about this car has been documented by me on the web - there’s no secrets, and I’ve tried not to take any short cuts other than doing the paint myself. It is not a perfect car, but good. Every orifice was later blasted with Lanotec industrial corrosion inhibiter. There are some paint imperfections and a couple of runs I’ve never got around to colour sanding out - but the advantage of solid colour means they can be resolved.

The car is bespoke to my vision and certainly not original - did give myself a brief to keep everything very close to ‘period original’ - I imagined what a well heeled gentleman could/would do to his sports purpose 911 circa 69/70. I promise it performs, rides and drives better than it ever did originally.

If you’re after an original time machine, move on - this is not the car for you, however the base is there if you wanted to take this path I guess, rather than enjoy a hotrod.

The car does need tyres. The current Michelin TBs are a bit hard and are date coded to 2004, so likely not going to slip through a roadworthy. I was about to drop some coin on new Pirelli CN36s but am going to hold off and potentially let another owner decide. There are also some cosmetic things such as some corroding fasteners that I'm currently changing, and some white polishing residue which is in some seams that I am also working on removing.

Car is currently located located with me in Port Macquarie NSW and is currently registered on Queensland club plates It is not transferable and given the difficulties with location, I intend to sell the car unregistered. So it’s pretty much a “where is, as is” kind of sale. If the car goes to Queensland I’ll toss in the TYP901 number plates.

Price? I'm at $130k... There seems to be a little bit of choice out there for buyers now so I'm sure the market will dictate what the car is actually worth. My thoughts are that it’s a matching number Aussie right hooker, corrosion free 911 - not a 912. Have a look at what's out there, and what the usual suspects are asking for similar cars. I've discounted a reasonable amount factoring in some attention to the engine/box by your favourite mechanic. I could also jump through these hoops but living in Port Mac makes it more difficult, and I'm offering to leave some coin on the table for the next owner to get it the way they'd like it.

Never thought I’d part with this car, and I am certainly having mixed feelings, but I feel it’s the right time for me to let this car go.

I hate selling, and I’m not particularly good at it. I am only putting it up on the Typ901 board at this time with the presumption that genuine buyers will find me. I’d prefer email at this stage to ossiblau@gmail.com with any questions and I can arrange a time to talk. Work sees me out in the field a bit and phone coverage is never guaranteed.

I could do a photo essay, but there are enough photos of the car floating about the board. Email me for specific photographs if needed...

Cheers
    John
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Fishcop; 09-11-16, 02:56 PM.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Wow, this is a surprise. After all the dedication and work you have put in, it must be a soul searching decision. But as you say, priorities and life change so good luck with the sale and I hope someone from the Register buys it.
    An excellent deal for someone and let's hope it stays in Australia. Given the prices in the UK you could be asking Pounds or US$ at that price.
    Cheers
    Paul M

Comment

Good luck with the sale John.
      Peter D

TYP901# 233
      911T Coupe 68
      911E Targa 73
      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

From someone who knows better than most try buying a 69T and then doing to it what John has done to this car.

If you didn't have Johns skills by the time you added it all up you would be starting with a 2 maybe even a 3 by the time you were finished.

Good luck with the sale I think it is an absolute steal at $160k
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Good luck with the sale John, it's been a fantastic journey watching your labour of love with this car, i hope it doesn't end up on the floor at X with a 2 in front of your ask.
          Craig
          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
          1972 2.4E Targa project
          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Having spent time at Rennsport last year, I got to see what the rest of the world does with their 911s and I was pleased to see mine would fit in in... It's not the caliber of some of the well known cars from ESR or RGruppe, and certainly not in the league of Jason Carrol or Dave Belford's work. I just want to be clear that I've been driving this car and it does have some scuffs, chips and imperfections; and was built by a regular guy. I learned that no matter the effort I put in, a pro would always do better - but I loved doing it! I do feel like I'm pricing it fairly and leaving room for a new owner to change/fix anything to suit themselves.
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

I just told my wife the typ901 plates are available, lets see how this goes..

GLWS John
              Mickc

65’ 912/6
              70’ 911T coupe
              00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Yeah, there's been some "interest" in the plates
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

that's good Mick... just tell her the plates cost $160K and John can throw the car in with them

good luck with the sale john it is a great car and as you say there are no secrets with this one everything has been revealed in the various posts on the build etc
                  Hugh Hodges
                  1973 E
                  Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                  Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Good luck John. Between your car and Greg's for sale, it is a good time to be a buyer. Considering what you've put into it, I think it's a bargain. Certainly got me thinking..

Comment

Hi John

GLWS!!

Cheers
                      Adam

Comment

Agree with all other comments. It is a bargain for someone.

Good luck John. I hope it all goes well.

Comment

GLWS John, and the other upside is they will get it 2 to 3 years sooner than if they do it themselves

Comment

Holy sh*t. That was unexpected. Seems very reasonable to me at that price.

I am blown away by the what you achieved with that car. I hope the 68L brings you as much enjoyment. Can't wait to see the finished product.
                            Last edited by DJ911; 28-10-16, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Hi All

I think it's an overall sign of my apathy when it comes to selling that I realise I could be a bit better about putting some info up.

Well if you're on this board, then you'd know this is possibly the longest thread on the board ? https://www.typ901.org/forum/forum/t...storation-2010

I should probably also note that the car is still not really finished (are they ever?). I have not plumbed the external oil cooler, the interior lights and sunvisors are not installed (can't bare to cut the hood lining ), haven't installed the new blower cover, and there's some fasteners I need to replace... My failure to do these things just highlights how little time I've had over the past couple of years and continue not to have

Cheers
                              John
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X