Sporto anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
    Not sure I'd consider $21k cheap, Phil. Which is what mine cost. And it was done by Spencer. Properly.
    Mark, I wouldnt consider $21K was cheap either. I just wanted to show the cost when you replace just about everything with new stuff. remember there is a $1300 oil pump in that rebuild plus a clutch kit. There was a lot of machining done, balancing etc to bring this engine to what Phil considers 'race-prep' and we paid particular attention to rods, heads, valves and crank. Have a look at what the new set of bearings cost. We paid for the good stuff because I didnt want to rebuild this engine again in my lifetime.

If I had stayed with 2.4 P & C's the list price was $13,000 for a set of original Mahle. Thats why we went to 2.7. You might shop them cheaper ex USA but I havent bothered to look lately.

I agree with Hugh's assessment in that body and mechanical work is getting more expensive and that $50K car can get up towards $100K as Hugh says. All the more reason to look long and hard at the car you buy or get one where a lot of the hard work has been done.

There's a reason some of the cheap cars around are cheap.......

Wasnt trying to scare anybody off engine rebuilds, just share an experience in what good and original parts cost.
    Last edited by e72phil; 16-10-13, 10:22 PM.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by markymark_1968 View Post
      For a T? Or an E or S? Mine was barrels, heads, pistons, crankshaft, E cams, clutch etc etc for much less than 30K. Much less.
      3 years ago too now??? prices have escalated rapidly like the value of the cars
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

to continue the engine rebuild discussion (whilst off topic), here's another thread on cost of rebuilding engines including what a previous owner paid on my car's engine...

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
        X