Model Porsches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Not so Humble :P

There are some good models there . it look like a good collection.

by the way i see some "rothmans" colours there in the 956 / 962's?
    Do you have them with the "rothmans" livery ie the words that they raced in - or the crap "racing" that the politically correct lobby has forced the new models to be sign written as

Just one more argument for buying period models in my opinion - something I have been gravitating to over the last couple of years.

we must have a discussion about the merits of the modern well made (usually) highly realistic models from Minichamps, exoto, Trofeu etc versus the period more crudely made (but top of the line then) models from Solido (early versions) Mercury, Mebetoys (early versions only) etc that are good representations of actual cars raced with months of the models being released so they have accurate sign writing even if the (pre computer generated) models are a bit cruder
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh,

I have the Minichamps 82 and 83 LeMans Winners. I have 2 of one but can't remember which ... it happened when I got the LeMans minichamps set (917K Salzburg/ Long Tail Martini 917 LH, 77 936, 356SL Gmund (a beauty), 956 and a GT1).

These cars have the Rothmans decals on them.

I also have the Nurburgring car Bellof did a 6 minute something around the Nordschliefe. It has "Racing Porsche" Livery... as tobacco advertising was banned at the time in Germany (still is)...

btw my 908/2 (Tony Dean) arrived yesterday... This was a private car that won a Can Am race in 71 or 72. Excellent for $25 landed!

Justin R
      Justin Reed
      aka Reedminor
      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
      1961 356B #114700
      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor
        btw my 908/2 (Tony Dean) arrived yesterday... This was a private car that won a Can Am race in 71 or 72. Excellent for $25 landed!

Justin R
        I hate you for that :wink: :P
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

So how did the "tuning drive" go Hugh?

What were your impressions from the passenger seat?

Justin R
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1961 356B #114700

Comment

From what Mike tells me Hugh didn't spend much time in the passenger seat :lol: ! Mike was tuning the Autronic on the laptop whilst Hugh drove...but the boys in question can tell their own stories (maybe in a a new thread)... can't wait for a drive myself now...

Cheers,

Comment

Not as good as from the driver seat - I drove for about a half of the time while Mike tuned the car from the laptop plugged into the engine management system.

Lots of things to relate including the difference seats make

Will post separately later
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh / Craig / Marco,

Won a Trofeu 936 1/43rd - LeMans 1976 Winner today....

JR
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1961 356B #114700

Comment

was that in the UK Bidding in pounds?

If so I nearly went for that as well ops:

Just as well for one of us that I did not :wink:
                  Hugh Hodges
                  1973 E
                  Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Talking about EBAY I tried to steal this last night there were no bidders at the time , it was originally listed with a wrong description and a few of his items did not attract a bid

Pity someone knew it for what it was

Porsche 356 B " DREIKANTSCHABER "
                    Le Mans 1963
                    driver Kock - Beaufort
                    car # 29
                    1/43 model by JOHN DAY, England ( very very old )
                    Attached Files
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Young Tom has seriously started his collection...

With a lot of guidance and coaching from Hugh, Tom (13) has made his first 'serious' model purchases with the aid of Mum's (me) eBay and paypal accounts...better than buying yet more PS2 games and music CD's! Although Tom was saving me money on the CD side of things as we share a similar taste in music :wink: .

So here are his first purchases:
                      Attached Files

Comment

And another:

I think he's done pretty well. He researched each as much as he could and he and Hugh have had emails and phone calls going back and forth...best thing is that Tom is listening to Hugh...at 13 thank God he's listening to someone :roll: ...

They are yet to arrive of course and he has his eye on a couple of others, but is already acutely aware that he needs to remember the exchange rate, merchant fees and postage etc. Pretty good lessons for him whilst fueling a new found passion.

Many, many thanks to Hugh for taking such an interest in helping Tom - I'm not sure who is having more fun :lol: !

Cheers,
                        Attached Files

Comment

for those not into collecting models and thinking that these look a bit shabby and worn and not as perfect as a modern model, the difference is that they were made in the day - and were the high quality models at that time made in relatively small quantities and with many being lost or destroyed over time. They also depicted actual race cars of the time and sometimes you can get rare cars - at least from the race livery point of view

while we are on confession time here is a couple I did manage to pick up at the weekend ops:
                          Attached Files
                          Hugh Hodges
                          1973 E
                          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

We (Tom and I ) hate you for that Norev model :wink: ...Tom was looking at one for multiples of what you stole that one for....

He's still got a few to go on the list...here's hoping!

Cheers,

Comment

Hugh,

Yes it was in pounds... and I'm glad you didn't bid on it...

I have to admit I'm a fan of the newer models... although I still have some of the old Solido's I had as toys when I was younger. And we still have boxes of models that were Dad's - mainly plastic kits he collected to assemble in his retirement. :cry: He also has a lot of the older die cast models

The Minichamps, Trofeu, Best and Kyosho models are just so good these days.....and relatively good value.

I tend to stick to significant cars - LeMans, Sebring, Daytona winners, or ones I simply like. I find you need some discipline ... otherwise you end up with heaps of stuff you didn't really want... but got caught up in the thrill of the chase. :wink:

Lisa / Tom,

Welcome on an enjoyable, if sometimes expensive journey... my Dad gave me the bug... and I started when I was at uni... would buy a model after each exam period ended as a reward! 15 years later, the collection isn't too bad.....but I'll need another cabinet soon... its filling up. 8)

Justin R
                              Justin Reed
                              aka Reedminor
                              1961 356B #114700

Comment

Justin

don't get me wrong I think the newer models are absolutely fantastic - especially the quality of the build and the decals etc

It is amazing what the computer can do

I have lots of them and think they are a great representation of the cars
                                However there is also something about the old ones made within months of the cars use
                                there are also some strange side effects - the minichamps and Porsche factory authorized model of the 1970 917 that won Le mans (red white Hans Hermann car) is incorrect as it is running livery from, i think 1982, when it was at a later Le mans as an exhibition car. That is the way it is in the museum ( it is not even the real car in the museum but a replica but that is another story)
                                There are models "of the day' that have the livery correct which I think is much nicer even if they dint look so pretty and the casting is not quite as perfect
                                Hugh Hodges
                                1973 E
                                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Working...
                                X