TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I’m going to turn my 911 in to an EV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
    Full disclosure: I am a Tesla shareholder
    Is THAT why you started that thread about Tesla sales that nobody posts on

It'll be good to see how it turns out mate - big thumbs up!

Comment

I started the (off topic) thread more than 12 months before I bought shares, and purchase of shares reflects my view of Tesla rather than vice versa, and my support for their stated mission to “accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy” because I’m deeply concerned about anthropogenic global warming and what it means for the future of my 3 teenage kids.

Comment

Shell off for paint 28 March. Re EV swap I’m in queue behind a Beetle and a Kombi - so just another VW for them
        Consistent with my “because I can” approach, it’s had all rust cut out and replaced with steel and its being prepped to a basic standard and then painted with my favourite Slate Grey in epoxy with 10% flatting agent. So it will be the opposite of a very shiny concourse thing. I’m aiming for it to look like an older paint job (although anyone who knows anything will know it isn’t). Sort of very subtle “rat rod”. I’ve had the front bumper, bonnet, ducktail (all glass) and doors done so far and very happy with it. Going to fit up with used trim etc so far as I can. I have Clydes brown vinyl Recaro and thinking brown for interior. With wood panel on dash with extra air con outlets - will be running chiller cold high voltage electric air con with one of these:

https://www.classicretrofit.com/coll...er-for-911-a-c

Comment

I started the (off topic) thread more than 12 months before I bought shares, and purchase of shares reflects my view of Tesla rather than vice versa, and my support for their stated mission to “accelerate the worlds transition to sustainable energy” because I’m deeply concerned about anthropogenic global warming and what it means for the future of my 3 teenage kids.
          Applause and respect on that thread and your concerns.

Comment

So, one of the issues i always wonder about is range... doubt i’m alone.

i only seem to drive my car on club drives... which are about 200-ish miles in length... so realistically need a range of 400kms to cover that with a bit of fat?

how big are the batteries for 400kms - assume they tale up more than just the fuel tank space in the front trunk...?
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rule of thumb is 20kWh per 100km. Like an ICE with fuel, if you flog EV you go through electrons quicker. More batteries, more range, more $$$s, more weight, less performance. And batteries a big cost item.

Advice I have so far is 40kwh (200km) easy, mainly in engine bay and only use maybe a bit of frunk. I’ll probably build with that kind of range with capacity for more. Mine will be Tesla based so will have fast charging capability. Then it comes down to planning longer trips with a charging app on smartphone.

I wouldn’t buy a new EV with 200kms range tho, but the good ones all have the batteries down low under floor and 400kms+ range.

Comment

See my post on the other Tesla thread about fast charging batteries:

A new paper shows that a selling feature of electric cars, fast-charging stations along highways, actually subject batteries to high temperatures and high resistance that can cause them to crack, leak, and lose their storage capacity.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Rule of thumb is 20kWh per 100km. Like an ICE with fuel, if you flog EV you go through electrons quicker. More batteries, more range, more $$$s, more weight, less performance. And batteries a big cost item.

Advice I have so far is 40kwh (200km) easy, mainly in engine bay and only use maybe a bit of frunk. I’ll probably build with that kind of range with capacity for more. Mine will be Tesla based so will have fast charging capability. Then it comes down to planning longer trips with a charging app on smartphone.

I wouldn’t buy a new EV with 200kms range tho, but the good ones all have the batteries down low under floor and 400kms+ range.

So, with an ICE, fuel efficiency goes down the harder you drive... assume the same rule doesn’t apply to EV’s?
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

EV similar to ICE, the harder you drive an EV the shorter the range on a given charge/fill, especially when you’re braking harder than the regenerative braking system can capture.

Comment

I am following this with interest.

Is the plan for the 911 to have regenerative braking? Will it also run multiple motors ? Assume not at / to each wheel.

Cheers
                      Adam
                      Last edited by AdamGill; 17-03-20, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Current (early days, pre COVID19) plan is Tesla motor and drivetrain on rear axle, which will have regen braking. Not certain which one yet but will likely be from the rear of a Tesla Model X (200kw+) so I don’t think performance will be a problem.

I’d like to use Tesla battery modules for simplicity, going to mock up and have a look where they fit. Can’t see why I can’t put at least 1 on each side of the floor. The modules are about 670x300x75 each. Around 27kg and either 5.3 or 6.2kwh. 6.2 more expensive but likely go that way. Will try and fit 6 in I think, want to keep their weight as low as possible so don’t want to be stacking if I can avoid it. 2 up front, 2 on floor and 2 in back gives me 37.2kwh, about 200km range.

Pic is rear Tesla drivetrain in subframe (I think this one is actually a Model S). Battery is behind - that’s the metal cover that sits on top of the structure holding the modules.

50E21CDB-C6E9-4848-A84F-A76CC159688F.jpeg

Comment

Update: will most likely be FRONT drivetrain unit from a Tesla as they are a lot smaller and still plenty powerful (220kw I’m told). Made myself a pretend battery to play around. The car build will be better quality than this The modules are about 670x300x75 each. Around 27kg. Apparently if I go Tesla modules I have to find room for 10-12 to get the voltage I need for Tesla drivetrain.

29A3EF08-8618-4EC2-AA4C-BC3F673FF2C9.jpeg

Comment

Just FYI for interested parties this project is on ice (pun intended) subject to COVID19 at this point. Still processing with reinstating as ICE, have to fit everything suspension and brakes back up anyway and make it easier to sell the 2.7 and gearbox if can be driven in car.

Comment

FYI, an article in latest issue of Total 911 on an early Targa EV conversion
                              Jeff Eelkema
                              TYP 901 #132
                              S-Reg #1431
                              69E (project)
                              various bevel Ducatis
                              60s Vespa

Comment

Hi all

Saw this and thought I would share - looks like ‘all’ you need to add is batteries (still unclear as to how many and how much space they will consume).

Porsche 911 EV Conversion Kit, Regen Brakes, AC Motor 1965-1986
                                [Porsche 911]

Price: $11,594.00

The EV West Air Cooled Porsche Starter Kit is perfect for those looking for a professional fit and finish on the drive components, but are willing to build and install their own battery system. This easy bolt in AC motor and controller system was designed to have a minimal vintage look so it blends in well with your air cooled classic.

This kit comes with your AC motor with regenerative braking, programmable controller, aluminum controller mount, high voltage charger, bell housing adapter plate, flywheel coupler, motor controller liquid cooling plate, coolant pump, radiator, state of charge instrumentation, throttle controller, and DC/DC convertor.

After mounting this kit, the only thing left is to add a battery system, including cables, fuses, and contactor box, and you are ready to drive your classic Porsche on all electric drive.

***Battery Boxes Sold Separately***

This kit contains the following:

Motor: HPEVS Dual AC-34
                                Controller: Curtis 1238 650 Amp, 96 Volt
                                Instrumentation: Xantrex Link Pro
                                Shunt: Deltec 600 Amp
                                Transmission Adapter Kit: EV West VW Air Cooled Billet Aluminum Transmission Adapter
                                Charger: Elcon PFC2500
                                J1772 Charge: Yes, J1772 Inlet, and Controller
                                Chill Plate: EV West
                                Cooling System: EV West
                                Throttle Control: Toyota Prius Hall Effect
                                DC/DC Converter: SEVCON DC/DC 300W Converter
                                Brake Transducer: EV West
                                BMS Controler: Dilithium
                                BMS Satellite: Dilithium
                                Thermistor Harness: Dilithium
                                Flywheel: EV West
                                Clutch: 200mm Solid Disc Exide Clutch

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...thgegp64uhuuv2

Last edited by AdamGill; 29-07-20, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X