TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early 911's and parts starting to dry up in USA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff, I was thinking of ordering new front/rear blinker lenses with chrome trim to suit the 69 year (I'll have a perfect pair of fronts in black trim [73] as a result). Perhaps we can split some postage to Briz? I personally have used Pelican for the last few years, but I have been disappointed with their shipping options of late $$.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Good experiences with both for me
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
        Jeff, I was thinking of ordering new front/rear blinker lenses with chrome trim to suit the 69 year (I'll have a perfect pair of fronts in black trim [73] as a result). Perhaps we can split some postage to Briz? I personally have used Pelican for the last few years, but I have been disappointed with their shipping options of late $$.
        John, for some obscure reason, the lenses with teh chrome trim seem to be twice the price of the black trim ones. Of course this is for the original Bosch ones. There are plenty of repros around of varying quality. Not sure what pelican sells.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

FWIW, I put new chrome trimmed, original Bosche lenses all round approx 5 years ago and they are cr@p. Chrome trim is starting to to lift off the inside plastic surface on all of them, and yes they were correctly fitted with new seals. I'd seriously consider aftermarket on the assumption that there is a chance that you'll either get somthing better than stock or the savings will justify replacing them again in years to come.
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke
          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

"However he showed me the front guard he proposed to use and it was a piece of rusting crap. He claims APorsche Apart sent to him and proposed to charge about $1100! I told him I didn't want it. He agreed his procurement person should have sent it back."

i have only bought a few things from these guys over the years - but i will now not do so without seeing them first. what they call 'new' and what i call 'new' are very different things...

also, i have bought loads of stuff from pelican but since they canned using USPS (who were very reasonable) the freight has skyrocketed. also, some stuff they won't freight o/s at all (eg. door panels) others will with no problems.

Comment

Wind noise and seats

Guys, I have a question. My car has new seals but makes a god aweful winfd noise around the seal area at the base of the A piller. If I press on the seal, the noise subsides. This is the case on both sides of the car. I this one of the joys of ownership or are the seals the wrong ones?

Also, I've been trying to get in contact with the guy selling those "giveaway" Recaros and can't get through. Anyone have any alternative contacts? Not that I need the seats, just wanting a chat with the guy ...

Also, got the Fuchs back from stripping, polishing and painting. Tyres on and picking up tomorrow. Will fit and have a crack at putting on the Durant style mirrors. Then photos.

Any assistane re the above would be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 901Porker View Post
                Guys, I have a question. My car has new seals but makes a god aweful winfd noise around the seal area at the base of the A piller. If I press on the seal, the noise subsides. This is the case on both sides of the car. I this one of the joys of ownership or are the seals the wrong ones?..........
                Same with KYJ Sven - the rubbers are relatively new, the doors have been restored, re-fitted and the gaps perfect - but there is noticeable wind noise around base of A pillar, particularly on drivers side............

..............it's so bad I'm thinking of getting rid of the car
                Peter Williams #049
                Secretary TYP901
                1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm surprised it's happening to you as well. My targa makes a heck of a windy noise around the 90-100 KPH. I'm thinking of ordering new seals all round. I'll certainly get new ones for the targa roof. I though it was just the targa which had twisted out of shape, as they tend to do over the years similarly to cabs.
                  Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

I've looked at Stoddards for seals and spoken to Chequered Flag regarding the front right guard [under the good advice of Phil] and they appear to be promising avenues for parts.
                    Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

Guys, about the wind noise. Have you ever seen some old videos of the guys in the factory bending the door frames to get the gaps right ? Last time I was there, and walking the factory tour, I noticed they still had those nifty little plastic guages they use to check all the gaps.

I think that getting the door seals right is probably a black art. My 72E Coupe has a lot of little black rubber strips glued in strategc places along the door frames. I think everyone suffers from it.

And as far as trying to seal a Targa, well good luck on that one. Clyde can fill you in on the rubber seal drama with Targas after agonising over his 73 S targa resto and trying to get the rubbers correct and working.

Sorry to rain on anyones parade here....
                      Last edited by e72phil; 20-07-08, 08:27 AM.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '24 MB GLA35 AMG- daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Indeed, Targa and rain don't mix. Its not the rain 'on' the parade that's the problem, its the rain that makes its way 'in' whilst I'm parading. Oh well, I've always liked boats.
                        Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

Sven, have fun with the mirrors!!!
                          Patience (& possibly trimming the length of the threads) will be necessary.
                          MichaelJapp
                          71E
                          Typ901 #065
                          EarlyS #798

Comment

If you want a new rubber, Clyde's your man
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901

Comment

...whoops, forgot the pic.
                              Attached Files
                              Peter Williams #049
                              Secretary TYP901

Comment

John

I'll also be ordering chrome trimmed lenses (probably non-gen based on Pauls comments) and have decided to use Stoddards as they have a few other bits Pelican don't have. My order will be a bit bulky but shouldn't be heavy so am more than happy to include some lenses for you. PM me with part numbers and quantities.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

BTW any QLD members going to the PQC Lakeside track day?

Cheers
                                Jeff
                                Jeff Eelkema
                                TYP 901 #132
                                S-Reg #1431
                                69E (project)
                                various bevel Ducatis
                                60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
                                X