latest thoughts on batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Rich.

Will probably do the same when the 6 year old battery in the 911T gives up.

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
      So, just a quick follow-up… bought new battery, but due to life factors haven’t managed to install it yet (so it’s sitting on the c-tek trickle charger on the garage floor).

yup, so if the trickle charger is keeping the new battery maintained… what’s keeping the battery in the car up to scratch? Yeah, nothin’!!

the voltage meter i have stuck in the cigarette lighter showed a paltry 8V this evening… nothing like enough to get the 911 rumbling. Which is where my latest birthday present actually came to the rescue - a second-hand-off-ebay iTECH2000A lithium jump starter.

Car started really easily - no idea how many times a unit like that could jump start my car, but pretty small unit to keep on hand even if it only did it a couple of times before needing a recharge.

Will update once the new battery is installed…
      I got something similar to that before going to Tassie.

I havent had to use it yet - but liked the piece of mind it brought if the battery gavce up the ghost somewhere remote.

JR
      Justin Reed
      aka Reedminor
      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
      1961 356B #114700
      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Ok, slight challenge with installation... Battery strap is way too long for for the smaller battery.

Any ideas on how to shorten, or alternative ways of strapping the battery down?
        Richard Griffiths
        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Hi Richard
          Just wondering if you could tie a knot in the rubber strap to shorten it.It might work and the knot could be concealed on one end.
          Best Regards
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nicko View Post
            Hi Richard
            Just wondering if you could tie a knot in the rubber strap to shorten it.It might work and the knot could be concealed on one end.
            Best Regards
            Nick

hmmm... Rubber? Mine's a metal strap.

Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Sorry I thought you were referring to the rubber strap that goes over the plastic battery cover.
              What strap are you meaning?

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
                Ok, slight challenge with installation... Battery strap is way too long for for the smaller battery.

Any ideas on how to shorten, or alternative ways of strapping the battery down?
                Need a pic to see what you have
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President
                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Nick
                  earlier cars have that plastic battery cover and the rubber strap later cars like rich's or my 73 have battery boxes cut into the wheel wells with the battery normally jammed in there and held tight with a metal strap
                  so it depend on which year you are talking about
                  you can see the black metal strap in this photo as well as how tight the "normal" batteries are 1B95725A-0A65-4128-A2C5-1104BA428C4A.jpg

Note it is a USA car with the extra pollution rubbish in front of the battery

and for completeness here is an early (68 and earlier) battery and plastic cover with the rubber strap. In these cars the batter was in a tray in the front LHS of the car

Ahearn_orange.jpg
                  Last edited by HughH; 27-11-21, 07:28 PM.
                  Hugh Hodges
                  1973 E
                  Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                  Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks Hugh... Yep, metal strap holding the battery down. As per your pic (which is very neat compared to my spaghetti mess of wires).

Aiming for safe and working, whilst I sort some of the shonky wiring out...
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Ahhhh. Thank you for the photos Hugh.
                      I should have looked at my Restourers guide to Authenticity 2.
                      The best option would be to place a spacer possibly made from timber or something non conductive(paint it black)to make up the gap.
                      I would not try to modify your metal bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Nicko View Post
                        The best option would be to place a spacer possibly made from timber or something non conductive(paint it black)to make up the gap.
                        that's actually not a bad idea - might look a bit ridiculous, but so does the wiring at the moment... and it'll get it running again whilst i sort out a longer term solution.
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

This works in my 72 hot rod Richard.
                          Even passes scrutineers at the track.
                          20211128_083234.jpg
                          Aus del 68 911S

Comment

I went the other way and bought two new Bosch batteries of the correct size ($374 for two) which is not bad since the last ones were bought in Jan 2015
                            IMG_1455.jpg
                            Hugh Hodges
                            1973 E
                            Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

So, here's where I have got to... Unfortunately nothing is perfect, but the car runs again.

Haven't worked out what all the wires are for yet - lots of connections to the positive terminal which I don't think can be right...

And now I'm missing a positive lead to the washer pump

Plus need to secure the battery (which doesn't protrude outside the box) and protect the exposed terminals...

Oh, i have wired in the ctek... Also not finished nicely yet either. But hopefully this battery will get regular trickle charging as a result!

Attached Files
                              Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Oh, I already know the earth cable is rude... It's all I could find at supercrap auto....
                                Richard Griffiths
                                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                                X