• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM sent Merv!

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Thanks. All in now. So much more comfortable than the 'comfort seats'! I could not have used them for much longer. They are a 'classic' experience.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice upgrade Merv

Comment

Hi all

Against popular consensus I have gone down the path of throwing a bit of money at my original comfort seats.

Seats have been disassembled, bases sandblasted / powder coated, springs checked, foamed with additional bolster on the base, and are ready for refitting.

Would appreciate some help / confirmation on the following (for a 73):
            1. The facia's that connect the base to the back I believe should be black gloss with a crinkle finish?
            2. When refitting the sprung base slider it does not open enough to release the lock. Is there a simple way to tighten the cable?
            3. Where is the best place to purchase the plastic handles ?
            Cheers
            Adam
            Last edited by AdamGill; 19-11-16, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hi Adam.
              Sorry i can't answer any of your questions.
              I actually have a question!
              Did you do the disassembly of your comfort seats? If so, is it reasonably straight forward or a complex process?
              cheers
              Mark Evans
              1966 912 5 gauge
              1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Originally posted by SportoEvans View Post
                Hi Adam.
                Sorry i can't answer any of your questions.
                I actually have a question!
                Did you do the disassembly of your comfort seats? If so, is it reasonably straight forward or a complex process?
                cheers
                Hi

I outsourced - can provide details for the guy I used if you want them?

What are you trying to do?

Cheers
                Adam

Comment

Dont mind the comfort seats (and mine are in excellent condition) but I seem to sink down quite a way, and was wondering if it was possible to add an extra bit of support where my arse goes!.

I did this fairly easily on the seats in my MB pagoda (by adding a thin piece of seat foam) because the seat is "open" at the bottom, meaning the springs and internals can be accessed.

However, our comfort seats have a metal base sealing the whole seat underneath and not sure how this comes apart to gain access inside. It looks like a time consuming job.
                  Mark Evans
                  1966 912 5 gauge
                  1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Hi

I don't think it is that bad. Guy I used bad early beetle and combi seats in the shop and was stating how similar they are.

Like you I went for extra bolster around my bum to stop the sliding.

Just need to get them fitted and working to see how successful I was.

Cheers
                    Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                      Hi all

Against popular consensus I have gone down the path of throwing a bit of money at my original comfort seats.

Seats have been disassembled, bases sandblasted / powder coated, springs checked, foamed with additional bolster on the base, and are ready for refitting.

Would appreciate some help / confirmation on the following (for a 73):
                      1. The facia's that connect the base to the back I believe should be black gloss with a crinkle finish?
                      2. When refitting the sprung base slider it does not open enough to release the lock. Is there a simple way to tighten the cable?
                      3. Where is the best place to purchase the plastic handles ?
                      Cheers
                      Adam
                      Bumped to the top. Any advice greatfully appreciated.

Cheers
                      Adam

Comment

The stock seats in a 356 ABC are very similar. They are obviously a bit wider than 911 Comforts, but work on the same design principle. You are supposed to sit in, and not on, them. On the 356 if you make the springs and padding too firm you bounce all over the place. I had mine rebuilt as standard and they perfectly complement the suspension and ride of the car. However the 911 creates greater side G forces than a 356 in most situations and the comfort seat struggles to cope.

If you could somehow maintain the "sit in" aspect of the central spring zone, but with more side support padding that might help. It might not look stock but could be a compromise.

Comment

Working...
                        X