Refurbishing Comfort Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merv View Post
    I wonder how easy/difficult replacing the existing pepita on the BF Torinos would be? Looking at the side seam those centre sections in the upright bolster are a separate component and could be easily re-done? Phil is that right?
    Hi Merv,

I am planning on replacing the inserts on my BF Torinos as soon as I can get some pepita from Garry.

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Interesting Harry. I was just looking the insert panel on the back and it is attached with stitching at top and bottom and velcro on the side. Should be an easy job. We can compare notes. I have decided to go this way too. The material from Gary is high quality and amazingly heavy for a textile.

Comment

Merv, any good trimmer will easily be able to substitute the existing insert panels of yr seats with the replacement material. he can use the existing material as a pattern. the seats can easily be 'dismantled' and unpicked from underneath then re-assembled. I have had a few seats done when customers needed custom materials inserted.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Great and thanks Phil.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
            Interesting Harry. I was just looking the insert panel on the back and it is attached with stitching at top and bottom and velcro on the side. Should be an easy job. We can compare notes. I have decided to go this way too. The material from Gary is high quality and amazingly heavy for a textile.
            Hi Merv,

Great, I can leverage your learnings

Cheers,

Harry.

Comment

Will look something like this
              Attached Files

Comment

Ooh yes...!

Can I make one other suggestion? The 68 year was the transition to headrests. I think the sport seats look great with the head rests and bungs deleted. Also correct was the bolt on head rests that attach at the back if you want the option of clean adding and deleting as suits your mood.

Some photos that might be helpful...
                Attached Files
                John Forcier
                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                Restoration Saga
                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Good points John. My wife likes the current headrests (obvious reasons) and the old style rear bracket headrests are very hard to get, I thought?

Another point in your photo is the use of ribbing across the insert. Phil's seats have less pronounced ribbing. Also, the driver's seat in the attached photo (Sports Seat originals I believe) seems to be relatively flat. Is that correct in IYO?

I always though that there was some pronounced ribbing, as in the second photo?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Merv; 12-08-15, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Colour band runs vertical in both sport seat images above too.

I've been led to believe this is correct as opposed to horizontal colour band.

Does anyone have pics of original sports seats with coloured pepita?

Comment

The original tan/black pepita on my sport seats also runs vertically.
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

Thanks John - good to know - those details drive me nuts!

Comment

The horizontal band in the comfort seat can be seen in the first picture. Some seats I have seen restored have rather puffy look to the ribbing.

Comment

I think the 'puffy' effect is just new everything... It tends to settle down with a few kms under the butt.
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

If anyone is after red, b&w papita from Garry he has a batch due in 6-8 weeks and is taking orders.

He sent me this picture to show which way the pattern runs.
                              Attached Files
                              Doug
                              IG: @porschepicto

Comment

Yes Doug. His cloth comes with a sticker that also shows the direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X