1970 RHD 2.2S for sale- needs work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff - my 2c

I guess it depends on how much body work is required and the buy price. I understand you can probably handle the mechanical side of things?

It depends on what you want to use the car for to some extent?

I'd be trying to keep both! I think the S would naturally be a better project to spend money on. Why not buy the S, and swap parts across to make the '69 a 74/75 RS replica for track / rally use?

I may have some parts for the 70S you could use and will PM you separately.
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

You can do it!
      Attached Files
      John Forcier
      1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
      1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
      Restoration Saga
      1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Jeff, 30k to buy, 40k to fix =70K plus. For that money you can buy some pretty good Porsches and not have to fix them. Check the Porsche Club sites. And if you sold your existing car, how much would you have to spend. 993/996 territory.

Comment

Who wants one of those modern things?
          Cam Arnott
          1970 911E (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
            Jeff, 30k to buy, 40k to fix =70K plus. For that money you can buy some pretty good Porsches and not have to fix them. Check the Porsche Club sites. And if you sold your existing car, how much would you have to spend. 993/996 territory.
            the only downside to $70K now is actually having the cash... $30K now and $40K over the next few years is (or was at least for me) more palatable to the finance committee...

seems like quite a good market out there to be buying though (in comparison to previous years)...
            Richard Griffiths
            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Thanks for the comments and PMs.

Ryan your story tallies with the seller's story to me. He found the car in central Tassie and thought it was a late 70/early 80s cheap source of parts for his damaged 911 race car. Got it home and found he had bought a 70S and did some resaerch and found it was matching nos and original RHD and thought it too good to raid for parts. Claims he will keep it if he can't get a fair price but what is a fair price?

Cam, you are right that I have the advantage of doing everything but panel and paint myself. I have done some body and paint work but don't have the time, space or inclination to this sort of stuff anymore. So apart from that it's just parts costs. (thanks also for the parts offer)

Rich, you are spot on with your comments about spreading the cost however my finance committee still needs some convincing. I thought I was going well with RHD vs LHD and not having a cage or doing racing but she isn't a fan of orange. By the time I sell my 69 and surplus stuff like the modern BBS wheels etc off the 70S I won't have a huge outlay at the moment. Still need to a fair bit for the body down the track though.

Then there is the hassle of getting the car from Tassie and having to sell my 69, finding room for another car for a while etc. Do I need all this extra hassle?
              Jeff Eelkema
              TYP 901 #132
              S-Reg #1431
              69E (project)
              various bevel Ducatis
              60s Vespa

Comment

YES you do!

Oh and Signal Orange grows on you in mysterious ways
                Cam Arnott
                1970 911E (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

A factory RHD 2.2S is arguably a $100k car... if you're able to carry the cost, you're looking at a $60k resto... It's nice maths

You'd have to imagine it would be keenly sought by potential UK buyers in the future too.

I can probably manage a road trip
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

No chance of getting that back in to shape for $40k......none whatsover unless you have Johns skills even then you might struggle if the mechanicals are no good
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

$40K for all those repairs, repaint etc doesnt go very far these days. expect a serious blowout of even your worst case scenario.

Sorry to sound negative, but this is what happens these days unless you are prepared to spend a lot of your own time on the project.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                        You'd have to imagine it would be keenly sought by potential UK buyers in the future too.

hmmm, brave call counting on the brits for at least the medium term - their economy, currency and car prices are all trending down.

Comment

Clyde would probably be the best to comment on the true cost on getting this back to original; it's the cost of sourcing all the correct parts that'd concern me. We all know what sports seats / door pockets and the like are worth.
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke
                          TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

I'll certainly defer to Clyde's experience on restoration costs!

I guess it's a hard call Jeff...

PS. My Glasurit package has topped $1600 - and that's with it sitting in cans!
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

I've decided not to buy this - at this stage anyway. It all got too hard and the seller claims he has another interested party so I let it go but may reconsider if a sale doesn't eventuate.

I still think for someone in my situation it could a viable proposition but acknowledge it would not make sense for anyone paying full retail for all work.

I've never really wanted a factory original 911 but prefer a period style hot rod. Building this car but using non original seats, RS door trims and exterior trim delete etc would save costs in the short term and given that it wouldn't be something I would sell, the original hard to get bits wouldn't matter. I suspect over time more of this stuff will be reproduced which will keep a bit of a cap on some of the prices.

Thanks again for all your input.

Now back to plan A, my 69E hot rod
                              Jeff Eelkema
                              TYP 901 #132
                              S-Reg #1431
                              69E (project)
                              various bevel Ducatis
                              60s Vespa

Comment

Hello all.

This is my first post.

I am the other interested party - in fact I am so interested that I have bought it and it is on its way to Brisbane via CEVA as we speak (I am on the Sunshine Coast).

I flew down to Hobart and back on Sunday to look at it. Obviously not a concourse car but I am happy with it as a base. I hope to blazes the matching numbers stuff is all OK! The vendor was genuine and helpful throughout (thanks Ryan).

My plan is to do a basic conversion (not a "restoration") back into a driveable (narrow body) 2.2S.

I've kind of done a similar thing with a (UK) 356 in the past so have some idea of what I am getting in to.

Can others advise people I might go to in Brisbane to give it a thorough check? Plan A is to go to T&D but it would be good to know who else is out there.

Interesting to see the Signal Orange '69 2.2S on www.export56.com - it is the chassis number before mine and (as far as I understand) similar colour and spec.

Cheers

Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                                X