1970 RHD 2.2S for sale- needs work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on your purchase Mitchell.

I'm a 'glass half full' kinda person, and I personally believe that you have made an astute buy which only the fullness of time will reveal Especially if you're just happy to get it out on the road and driving in its original clothes. Though there is no question it will not be a cheap undertaking... definitelty tripple any estimates

Have a look at your last sentence - "69 2.2s" and being the chassis number before yours... I suspect there's an anomoly there

As you may have read, I've got my original RHD 69t absolutely gutted and on a rotisserie. If you need any photo references, or would like to come by and have a look let me know (I'm inner north Brisbane)

As for getting it checked - there is not a lot of options (unlike Vic and NSW) and it really depends on what kind of checks you're after - I think you need to be looking for a thorough structural assessment and that really requires a thorough strip out. I'll be frank and say "Plan A" will be expensive...

I won't put myself out as an expert by any means, but I can certainly show you where to look for the majority of issues you're likely to have and the internet is full of good (and bad) info on the early chassis and how to tackle the likely corrosion repairs.

Feel free to PM me for my phone number for my unsolicited opinions
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Well done Mitchell

I can't help but think I might have let something slip through my grip but I'm not too disappointed. I hope it turns out better than I suspect but even it is fairly rusty I think it will still be worth saving even if it does take time and lots of money.

I did confirm with PCA that it is a 70 2.2S and the engine is original to the car. The inspection I had done confirmed the numbers and it appears they haven't been tampered with. It looks like the car has been in Aus since at least 1984. I also confirmed via a contact in Tas that the car isn't listed as ever being stolen or written off so title looks safe.

I wouldn't mind having a look sometime (Like John I'm also in inner Bris). You might want to get in touch with Cam Arnott regarding a few panels he has.

Good luck with it.
      Jeff Eelkema
      TYP 901 #132
      S-Reg #1431
      69E (project)
      various bevel Ducatis
      60s Vespa

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
        Interesting to see the Signal Orange '69 2.2S on www.export56.com - it is the chassis number before mine and (as far as I understand) similar colour and spec.

Cheers

Mitchell
        In fact, exactly the same photo of the signal orange car used in both ads. (although the ebay ad only claimed that this was what the car looked like - not the actual car)

With respect to John's comment, I believe build date after Sept 1969, when 2.2lt motor fitted, was designated as 1970 model. Is that correct?

BTW - Welcome to TYP901 Mitch.
        Last edited by MrUpwey; 08-04-10, 01:14 PM.
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Originally posted by gouldwil View Post
          In fact, exactly the same photo of the signal orange car used in both ads. (although the ebay ad only claimed that this was what the car looked like - not the actual car)

With respect to John's comment, I believe build date after Sept 1969, when 2.2lt motor fitted, was designated as 1970 model. Is that correct?

BTW - Welcome to TYP901 Mitch.
          I certainly stand to be corrected But your logic concurs with mine. The '70 year began in September '69 so a 2.2 engined car is likely to have a built plate beginning with 110 (1970). My car is an August 69 2.0 with a vin beginning with 119 (1969). But there's bound to be the odd anomoly with any cars built on "cusps".
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
            I certainly stand to be corrected But your logic concurs with mine. The '70 year began in September '69 so a 2.2 engined car is likely to have a built plate beginning with 110 (1970). My car is an August 69 2.0 with a vin beginning with 119 (1969). But there's bound to be the odd anomoly with any cars built on "cusps".
            just found this site which seems to confirm my suggestion.

Peter Williams #049
            Secretary TYP901
            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Congrats. I suspect you will get a return, given the rate at which matching number early 's' increase. And from a preservation prospective I'm pleased to see the car will be returning to its original shape. Hope it all checks out well. Look forward to lots of progress pictures.
              Paul

Targa 2.4E Signal Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                i'd have to pull out the details again, but I am certain that porsche confirmed that my car (a '70T) was built in August '69... and had a 2.2 sporto... so go figure!!! more anomolies on the cusp?
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Congratulations Mitchell and welcome aboard!
                  Cam Arnott
                  Looking for engine #6208151
                  1970 911E (Sold)
                  '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                  2 x Split Screen Kombis
                  TYP 901 Register # 78
                  Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
                    i'd have to pull out the details again, but I am certain that porsche confirmed that my car (a '70T) was built in August '69... and had a 2.2 sporto... so go figure!!! more anomolies on the cusp?
                    Woah - deja vous! I had this "argument" with someone ages ago

I settled on the fact that my was a Karmann '69 t car based on the August build plate, pull-toggle emergency/hazard switch, the 68/69 push-button door handles and the 3-bar grill which are all consistant with the 69 model year. I don't have my chassis number at hand right now (I'm not that much of an anorak that I've memorised it ) but I'm happy to post it Rich and we'll see how far a part our AU delivered T spec sportos ran off the line... I also have a Kardex somewhere that I'm sure declared my car a '69.

I feel like a right boffin now...
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

As far as I'm aware the Porsche production year begins in August...

Comment

Chassis number will tell...
                        my 1969 built 2.2 is MY1970, at least according to CAMS
                        Craig
                        12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                        1972 2.4E Targa project
                        1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
                          Chassis number will tell...
                          my 1969 built 2.2 is MY1970, at least according to CAMS
                          ahh, what would cams know anyway

Comment

ok, so my car:

VIN 9110100144
                            Engine 6103040

1970T with 2.2 Sporto
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

And mine is:

VIN 119100145
                              Engine 6193137

Curious... chassis appears later than mine, yet engine appears earlier?
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Well done, Mitchell.
                                A good plan to get T&D to inspect the car. Nobody else springs to mind who work so much with early Porsches in Brisbane. Don at T&D may direct you to Harry Piekkala to do the body work and painting. He has worked extensively with early 911's and repairs them correctly without shortcuts. He does good work, is honest, reasonably priced but don't ask for a quick job. He has repaired and fully repainted two cars for me with the most recent requiring rust repair, removal of rear flares back to the narrow body and full re-paint. If you would like to see his workmanship I have the most recent car in its early stage of reassembly and you would be welcome to have a look at it. I live in Clayfield, not too far from T&D.
                                You have a great project ahead of you.
                                Regards,
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X