Melbourne Typ901 Program 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melbourne Typ901 Program 2007?

I see our NSW members are planning what appears to be a very enjoyable run and lunch on 18 February.

I've heard and seen nothing (which doesn't mean that it doesn't exist) from committee on a program of events for 2007, apart from PI historics in March or thereabouts and PCV 'invitational' event on Feb 18 - both of which relate to 'racing/track', which although really good fun may not appeal to all members and/or families.
    Please correct me if I'm out of order or advise me (and other members) of committee's intentions/plans for 2007. I'm not particulary concerned if there is no official program, so long as we have some type of activity each month. Whether it be a drive/track event/driver education/tech session/dinner/jelly wrestling (for the girls only) etc - otherwise why have a club.

I think a run and lunch similar to that being organised by Justin R should be on the agenda sometime soon - at least before we head into winter.

As a suggestion, John Hoey, Brett and I did a run with the Escape car club last Sunday which headed out through Warrandyte, Kangaroo Ground, Panton Hill, Kinglake and in a round about fashion finished up in Healesville - all terrific Typ901 roads - which Julie and I did in the '63 Beetle. There were about 65 classic cars on this run which took about 2 hours with no stops . We could use this as the basis for a Typ901 run, but perhaps extend it somewhat at the 'Healesville end' to have, dare I suggest it, lunch in a quant country pub.
    I don't mind assisting committee with the planning (as I have vast experience with the Mornington Peninsula Run last year) but would welcome a response from committee on this issue - and also that of our next Newsletter (just to throw in a 'curve ball')

Whilst I'm at the keyboard, I'll share with you a remarkable co-incidence that I experienced last Sunday.
    As some on this board may be aware, back in the early 1980's I owned a '69 911S which I purchased from a private buyer in Melbourne - it was distinctive in that it was painted Mexico Blue (a '74 colour). Recently on this board I enquired whether anyone knew of the current location of this car (no response) - as when I sold it I believe it went to Sydney.
    Whilst visiting George Cairns workshop prior to Xmas, I noticed a letter addressed to the person from whom I purchased the 'S' - he is and has been a long time client of George's as he now owns a 944S and he lives locally in Kallista.
    So after our 'Escape' run on Sunday, I decide to visit this chap to renew an old acquantance but also to show him KYJ 911 and return a large photo of the 'S' (which Julie found when recently cleaning out the attic at home - but that's another story) which he gave me when I purchased the car.
    Luckily I found him at home. He had just finished cleaning his sports car, a TVR Chimaera. He told me he had been on a run that morning which started in Nunawading and finished at Healesville - none other than the 'Escape' run that Julie and I'd been on - now isn't that a co-incidence
    I don't wish to disclose his identity, but he has one of the most interesting and rare car collections imaginable - including a number of rare TVR's (including a restored '64 Griffith purchased from Win Percy), Reliants (including the only Sabre 6 in Australia), racing/clubman cars and a 308GTB Ferrari - all in what appeared to me, pristine condition (but to Clyde, average)

Looking forward to our next event :p
    Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Peter,
    always keen for a run... you name the day and time
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Peter

I'm up for a drive... not sure the car is though, but hey, can always hitch a lift with someone!

Cheers

Rich
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Me too.

As there is always a 'hardcore group' willing to go out for a squirt, why not make a loose commitment for a run - say the second weekend of every month. A regular commitment may get us all thinking about different routes.

A while ago I did a run with some of the guys through the Pelican forum up around the black spur which I'd like to visit again. Anyone familiar with that area?
        Paul Wischer
        1969 911T
        1979 Californian Moke
        TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Paul

I haven't been out that way for a long while, but used to do it on the bike - head out through the black spur then across to warburton (i think it's called the Aucheron Way or something like that) and back in via the Reefton Spur... now is the time to do it - it gets nasty and slippery during winter. Trade off is between early morning before all the traffic starts but before the roads have dried out/warmed up. It's a good run though.

2 w/end would be the 10th of Feb...??

Cheers

Rich
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

10th Feb is fine for me...
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

10th is a Saturday, which make the 11th a Sunday - both days OK for me.

Suggested run -

First section - see Melway pages 9 & 10
              Start - Eltham, say at AutoCoupe if Phil H agreeable (and I would suggest that he come along in his lovely blue 356) at about 8-8:30am.
              East along Bridges St
              TL at main Road
              North along Kangaroo Grd-St Andrews Rd
              TR Heidelberg - Kinglake Rd
              TR Kinglake-Healesville Rd
              SO over Melba Hwy and follow Kinglake Healesville Rd
              VL Myers Creek Road to Healesville
              At Maroondah Hwy TR then TL into Beechworth Bakery for morning tea.
              After refreshments and chinwag
              Second Section
              Head north along Maroondah Hwy (this is the Black Spur)- road goes off N/E corner of map on page 10.
              Watch out for motor bikes.
              Go to map 610 S12
              Just past Narbethong TR at St Fillians and head to Marysville.
              TR just past Marysville and head for Lake Mountain.
              Travel up to Lake Mountain for stop/photos/coffee as required.
              Third Section
              Back down Lake Mountain
              TL to Cumberland Junction
              TR towards Warburton (watch out for crazies on motor bikes)
              Go to map 612
              Stop at Reefton Pub (watch out for crazies off motor bikes)
              Fourth Section?
              Travel on to Warburton. Can do last stop here.
              Travel back home via Lilydale/Ringwood.
              I haven't done this run, but have done bits of it and believe me they are fantastic roads.
              I guess it should be approx 3.5 hours driving not including stops.

I think that this should be an official club run rather than an unofficial "Alex" run. Does committee agree?

What does everyone think? Is this a goer?
              Are there other suggestion?
              Feedback required. It's in your court
              (just been watching the tennis)
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901

Comment

Ace! Good one, Peter.

I'll be in it, but maybe a run every month is a bit too frequent for a relatively small club. I don't mind how often they are suggested, as long as there are no hassling messages about how come there are so few starters etc etc, if that does happen.

Feb 10th is fine by me.
                Thanks
                John H

70 T

Comment

We’ve even started to develop our own vocabulary…

‘Clyde Condition’ = beyond concourse
                  ‘Alex Run’ = early morning open speed run usually undertaken with a hangover (might just be me)

What’s the significants of making this ‘official’

Peter sounds like a great route.

Cheers
                  Paul Wischer
                  1969 911T
                  1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post

What’s the significants of making this ‘official’

Cheers
                    Clyde, El Pres or Alex will better be able to answer that Paul, but I believe that as we are incorporated under the Associations Incorporations Act 1981 and affiliated with CAMS, then if CAMS are notified that this is an official club run and something stuffs up, so long as we take reasonable duty of care in organising the run, those (or me) arranging the run will not be subject to personal litigation - but I'm not a lawyer so that may absolute garbage.

If enough members are in agreement, I don't mind assisting with the organisation of the run however I would like to hear from Phil, Clyde or other committee members prior to proceeding.

........and John H is correct, a run a month is a little too much to expect from a club this size, but about 5 or 6 per year mixed with other events is not unreasonable.
                    Last edited by MrUpwey; 23-01-07, 11:05 PM.
                    Peter Williams #049
                    Secretary TYP901

Comment

Hey, if you start from Auto Coupe potentially I could drive my car out of there on its first run... maybe... :p

Comment

Peter

I am up for it. Shouldn't even need a leave pass as claire has a girls weekend away!!

Last run before the rust gets done...

Cheers

Rich
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Once a month may well be too often, the point of my suggestion was to try and establish a regular get together of members and take the onus off the few that are continuously organising these events.

Erwin, if interested I’ll have a spare seat if your looking for a ride on the day.
                          Paul Wischer
                          1969 911T
                          1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Hi Paul, thanks for the offer, I AM interested for sure. I will be there.

Comment

That's right, Paul. If six of us volunteer to organise one run per year then we have our six runs per year, and it's not too onerous for anyone. I'll put my name down for one, and maybe at each run the attendees work out who will organise the next one. The calendar, if not the course, could be established well in advance. If Erwin's car is not ready, maybe we could push him around in it if we have enough volunteers.

Happy motoring!
                              John H

70 T

Comment

Working...
                              X