Melbourne Typ901 Program 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dibberbloke View Post
    If Erwin's car is not ready, maybe we could push him around in it if we have enough volunteers.
    So generous! The SWB is also one of the lightest models around so shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I think we'd all like to see you behind the wheel with petrol powered horses as soon as it is possible, Erwin.
      John H

70 T

Comment

It sounds as though the 10th is a goer for a small band of merry Porsches so far
        As I've done the first section from Eltham to Healesville recently, I'll try to do the next bit from Healesville - Lake Mountain - Reefton - Warburton in the next week or so.
        So should be able to prepare a rough running sheet.
        I think we should attempt to leave Eltham at 0830.

Interested memebers to date:
        Peter W
        John H
        Richard
        Alex
        Paul and Irwin

Any others interested?
        Peter Williams #049
        Secretary TYP901
        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Marcus and a few others may be starters
          Alex Webster
          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

This would be a great run - I've been over the Eltham - Marysville sections a few times recently, including the Black Spur today! On each occasion however, from Healesville out has been quite conjested and I wonder if it might be better to target being on that section a little earlier. Today in particular was frustrating with (and those that have seen me drive know I'm not a quick driver) really slow vehicles that can't be over taken and don't pull wide when the opportunities present. Worse by far however, are the crazies in 15 year old crap boxes who sit two feet from your tail and spend most of their time with their eyes looking into the trees (very disconcerting in an underinsured 911 that you've just unloaded your wallet on!).....

My recollections of the Reefton spur are that it is far quieter and I'm sure some of you will indeed find room to press on!

Also, a 3-3.5 hr drive in an MFI 911 equates to about 2 full fuel stops I think! We'd better mark up fill points on the route!

Peter, you've suggested a great run for sure - looking forward to it!

Comment

Looks like we currently have at least 7 cars with Marcus (and a few others) and Craig expressing interest. Let's get a few more. 12 to 15 cars would be nice and manageable.

Thanks for your suggestions Craig, which means I'll need to do the run either this weekend or next to determine mileages, times, stops (for regrouping / snacks/photos/ toilets etc). To get onto the Black Spur as early as possible perhaps we don't stop for morning tea at Healesville, but instead just stop for refuelling and press on the Marysville or Lake Mountain for food/drink stop.

Also we can leave Eltham earlier if all are in agreement, say 0800 hrs. This depends on Alex, who probably has to travel the furthest. I'm agreeable to consensus for start time.

Still haven't heard from Committee whether or not this is an official club run and if so what is the procedure to make it so! (see my previous post)
              Peter Williams #049
              Secretary TYP901

Comment

Peter, 8am is fine, just means I get up a little earlier... as sonya keeps saying the only time I get up really early on the weekend is for golf, or playing with Porsches - I still don't see what is wrong with that!!!
                Alex Webster

Comment

Just to make it a little easier Alex, I'm thinking that we may/will start at the Maccas on the corner of Whitehorse and Springvale Roads, Nunawading which is a little cloer to you and probably more central for most. It also provides an opportunity for those who don't rise early enough to prepare breaky at home, to get a bite to eat and coffee before we head off.
                  Also it's closer to me - which is more important - especially as I have to do a trial run (probably tomorrow)
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901

Comment

sounds good, a bacon and egg mcmuffin sounds good at that time!
                    Alex Webster

Comment

That suits me fine too, Peter. Good location, and there's nothing better than leaving a Scottish Restaurant. Please don't worry on my, or my heirs, account regarding litigation should anything go wrong. Should I even be abducted by the space aliens which infest the hills around Melbourne intent on cloning my car - I will take it on the chin. The approval of committees may have more to do with permitting those with Club Historic plates to be legally on the road than anything else. No doubt the lawyers in the club will correct me on this. Nevertheless, I'm in it for the fun and the cameraderie and the liability is mine. Trust everyone else is likewise.

Cheers
                      John H

70 T

Comment

Thanks John............unfortunately. I didn't understand a word you said.
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901

Comment

CLUB RUNS, CAMS Insurance etc

Given this topic has come up yet again, to save people searching for the answer (which is on the board in a number of places), let me quote from Dennis in Sydney and a response by Clyde last August:

Dennis
                          "Just a short clarification of recent queries from Tony and Ryan re the CAMS drive day insurance.
                          The insurance we are paying for on these days is for public liability.
                          That is,if there is an untoward "incident" with a member of the general public whilst on an official drive day,then our organisers and our participants would be covered by insurance from legal actions by outsiders.
                          Believe it or not,there are some road users who actually don't like either Porsche drivers or Porsches.
                          The CAMS fee for this service is $55 per event to be paid usually the Monday prior to the event and extends also to invited participants who are members of another CAMS car club.
                          As an organiser,I would not like to do an event without this facility.
                          However,ad hoc drive Sunday mornings can probably occur although the public liability insurance would not normally be carried."

Clyde in response:

"Spot on Dennis its Public Liability Cover certainly NOT insurance and it protects event organisers and comiitte members and executive in the event of an incident.

Club members should be aware that only sanctioned club events will have a CAMS permit and that casual/impromptu runs arranged between club members have no status whatsoever and hence no cover"

When the club was being set up originally and all of these proceedures were being designed, Lisa did a lot of work on the requirements.

This run IS ALREADY OFFICIAL as details are on the board. CARL can confirm this, as the Ferrari club has detailed information in this regard.

Therefore, it either needs a permit, or cannot happen without putting the club at risk.

As I understand it, should a run be organised like this, via the board (rather than privately not using the facilities of the club), and the unthinkable happens and a bystander is hurt, or worse, or property is damaged, the CLUB, organisers of the event, the committee (personally), and those involved, will be open to being sued for damages.

If it occurs on the road, it may be covered by TAC in Victoria, but if it is off the road, ie a park etc, or TAC declines to cover it for some reason, there will be no Public Liability Insurance cover to offset any damages awarded against those sued.

Even under CAMS permits, cover is not guaranteed as it may be declined depending on circumstances as all incidents where a claim may be made are investigated. ie there is still a requirement to act within the law to be covered.

That is the reason the original committee went to the lengths we did to get cover organised, ensure that ANY non official runs were genuinly not associated with the club and its members etc., and generally establish a disciplined framework for running the club (which I note someone in this thread has recognised is an incorpoated association with all the responsibilities that entails).

While not everybody is happy to work within this disciplined framework , these days I believe you move outside it at your peril.
                          Last edited by HughH; 27-01-07, 09:08 PM. Reason: punctuation and spelling
                          Hugh Hodges
                          1973 E
                          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Thanks for your very clear and thorough response Hugh.
                            It's just the response that I was requesting of someone on committee, but have failed thus far to receive - perhaps everyone is too busy (but aren't we all!) - BTW Hugh are you coming?

As this run is now "official", I suggest that it can only go ahead if we obtain a CAMS permit to cover our public liability. So, who in the club is delegated to do this and what is the procedure. Please let me know so that it can be arranged in time for the run on the 10th.
                            Otherwise, forget it.

The planning is well advanced.
                            I have done a trial run this morning. (...and I've just experienced the best stretch of 901 type roads in the State of Australia)
                            Beginning at Maccas in Nunawading at 0830, travelling to Kinglake via Warrandydte, Kangaroo Ground, Pantaon Hill and StAndrews.
                            Then in a very round about way to Healesville.
                            From Healesville over the Black Spur to Narbethong and on to Marysville.
                            From Marysville to the Lake Mountain road. Up to the summit (10km) then back down and on to historic Reefton Hotel for lunch at 12 noon.
                            Couldn't do the Lake Mountain road today as it was closed due to a hillclimb event this weekend. (apparently it snowed there yesterday)
                            After lunch, head back home via Warburton/Yarra Junction/Woori Yallock
                            I'll suggest a nice drive from Woori Yallock for those heading to the eastern suburbs or the Mornington Peninsula.
                            Total round trip from Upwey was approx 120 miles and I used 32 litres of fuel (on webers)
                            Those MFI cars must really use the fuel if Craig thinks he needs to refuel twice.

I will need to know how many wish to stop for lunch at the Reefton Hotel as I can pre-book lunches a few days prior.
                            The pub is well known for its meals. We have been offered a substantial roast meal ( either lamb, beef or pork) for $15 or with dessert for $20 which I will pre-order and can be ready when we arrive. If roast is not desired then other meals can be ordered from the menu (which I don't have). The owners are very friendly and have hosted many car and bike clubs for meals (and accomodation)

I'll proceed with a running sheet/maps when I get sufficient responses.

I took a few shots on route to whet your appetites (for the drive)
                            Attached Files
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901

Comment

Here's the link to the Lake Mountain Sprint event this weekend.

Peter Williams #049
                              Secretary TYP901

Comment

Originally posted by gouldwil View Post
                                BTW Hugh are you coming?
                                No Peter, sorry can't make it. - too many competing commitments, including seeing the family - I have been at work all weekend

however I agree they are great roads and from your photos it looks like you had a great run today.

I believe that Carl Jones is responsible for doing the CAMS applications - or used to be anyway
                                Hugh Hodges
                                1973 E
                                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Working...
                                X