No announcement yet.

vBulletin 5 Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The all white background is a bit/too glary and could do with softening with some colour; and would it be possible to reverse the order of the overlong posts like "What you got in the mail today" which is now 55 pages long! ???

Comment

Google and other old links will now map to the new system, just had to add a bit of magic.
      Last edited by 911jack; 22-10-16, 05:27 PM.
      Uwe Imhoff
      TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

Uwe if you try to go to the last page of a thread it makes one very long thread...same as Paul suggested and Classic Road and Track has a very elongated banner on the home page
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Uwe, with the very long threads, we could archive the first 70% or just start a "part 2" new thread.
          Paul M

Comment

Hi Uwe

Great job with the site and thank you!

On the old site we used to receive an email notification on receipt of a PM. This does not seem to work here. I checked my account settings and my email address is there.

Cheers
            Adam

Comment

Hi Uwe

The Latest Activity filter seems to filter and sort by the date the thread was added. I would have assumed it would be by the last post across all threads ?

Cheers
              Adam

Comment

Long threads like "What you got in the mail today" work the same as they did I believe, if you go to the General and technical forum, click on the thread title it will take you to post 1, if you click on the little blue with white double arrows, it takes you to the last post. From the main forum directory clicking on the last post for a forum takes you to the end.

Might have to ask for a "please explain" to find out whats going wrong.

I'll need to check on the email and filter
                Uwe Imhoff
                TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

Thanks Uwe. In-thread works, it's the site overview across all threads which worked in the last version doesn't seem to function the same in this version.

I would suggest another minor change to the landing page:
                  Please note you must become a financial member of the Australian Typ 901 Register in order to <be> post at (on?) this website

Comment

In the old system it was called "Recent Threads", I've added something with hopefully the right functionality as a sub heading under the Forum tab with the same name, let me know how it works. See a reply you like, click on 'Go To Post' and you're there.

Thanks for the heads up on the typo
                    Last edited by 911jack; 23-10-16, 08:45 AM.
                    Uwe Imhoff
                    TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

Not sure if I am doing something incorrectly but I cannot open the What did you get in the mail today? thread either on my iPad or Macbook Air

Comment

Perhaps try clearing browser cache, the thread is displaying on my PC and phone
                        Uwe Imhoff
                        TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

Well done Uwe. Works well siting here in Delhi traffic. Slight issue on the mobile with an error telling me the page doesn't exist until you plug into the menus. Otherwise great
                          Costas
                          95 993 Carrera Coupe
                          & a lesser 14 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L TDI bi turbo (Daily Drive)

Comment

Thanks Uwe that fixed the problem. And thanks for all the work on the changeover.

Comment

Originally posted by 911jack View Post
                              Thanks for finding the search issue Jason, I've rebuilt it now so its all good again.

I'm looking at the broken links, the pages are still there, just at a slightly different address. Google will rebuild the links over time but other hard coded links will remain broken, not ideal.
                              Internal search looks good now. For external, would some sort of mod / apache rewrite on our end help? I can't really see the logic around the current translation - for example, here's the same search result thread for "fuchs refinishing" OLD: https://www.typ901.org/showthread.php?t=6402 NEW: https://www.typ901.org/forum/forum/t...hs-refinishing. Would turning off vbulletin friendly URL modification revert the URL to old format? It's a shame to lose all Google results built up over the years, but I guess they will eventually rebuild.

I'm sure most people have no idea how much effort putting your time into this is.

Comment

The rewrite magic is what I applied after a quick typ901 google check looking for the broken links but I was missing a rule for showthread.php, which is now in and working, also added showpost.php.

Its great that your finding these and if you know of any more please let me know. The rules need to be selective and there shouldn't be too many that handle 99% of bookmarks.

It currently triggers for

forumdisplay.php
                                showpost.php
                                showthread.php
                                printthread.php
                                faq.php
                                misc.php
                                search.php

So if a link breaks that contains typ901.org/xxxxx.php please let me know as it needs to map to typ901.org/forum/xxxxx.php
                                Last edited by 911jack; 24-10-16, 06:11 PM.
                                Uwe Imhoff
                                TYP901 Website Mechanic

Comment

Working...
                                X