Oldest Australian delivered 912?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest Australian delivered 912?

Hi all, I have chassis 350502 and have seen one or two other low number Aussie delivered cars, does anyone know what the earliest one might be ?

Pic of this car, (yellow) and 119100117

.20170902_164341.jpg
    Last edited by Ed Holly; 02-10-17, 08:01 AM.

Hi Ed,
    My Aus delivered 912 is 350190 delivered by Porsche Centre Melbourne August 1965. I'm about the fifth owner. It doesn't have the original engine. Engine is from a 1966 USA delivered car.
    Geoff Moore

1965 912

Comment

I asked Porsche Melbourne for details on early 912 deliveries and this was their response:
      "Unfortunately, despite checking all the available systems, I am unable to find the answers to your questions. However, it looks like our first deliveries dated back to 1965 (no exact delivery dates available) and we imported a total of 23 over the years. "

Information from the previous owner of my car (source unknown) is that it is the 149th 912 out of 6,200 built and was the 24th RHD car made in 1965

LOOKING FOR 912 engine 740460

Geoff Moore

1965 912

Comment

Wife took a photo of this today. Can't be too many SWT 912 in Australia.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Australia did not get any SWT and that is the first year of production in your picture.
          Only LHD.
          I think they are very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff_M View Post
            I asked Porsche Melbourne for details on early 912 deliveries and this was their response:
            "Unfortunately, despite checking all the available systems, I am unable to find the answers to your questions. However, it looks like our first deliveries dated back to 1965 (no exact delivery dates available) and we imported a total of 23 over the years. "

Information from the previous owner of my car (source unknown) is that it is the 149th 912 out of 6,200 built and was the 24th RHD car made in 1965

LOOKING FOR 912 engine 740460
            There's some discussion in this thread about numbers of 912's in Australia.
            I met a guy yesterday on our Sunday run, who is looking for an early 911 'project car'. Peter was the former Porsche agent in Darwin for a couple of decades.

Comment

23 912's total Aus del, that's a lot less than I would of guessed.
              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post
                23 912's total Aus del, that's a lot less than I would of guessed.
                Wow

Comment

No way, far too few - I'd have thought 30-50 per year.

I know there were quotas and Porsche would not have been selling heaps of cars - but 23 over 4 years?

Justin
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
                    No way, far too few - I'd have thought 30-50 per year.

I know there were quotas and Porsche would not have been selling heaps of cars - but 23 over 4 years?

Justin
                    not even close to those numbers Justin.

The previous mentioned low numbers align with the information I have found in the last 8 years or so.

Comment

Interesting given that the 912 outsold the 911 in the early years. Probably a reflection of the Australian economy and import tarrifs at the time. Certainly was the case for the last of the 356 models. For the price of the car you could buy a house.

Comment

23 over 4 or 5 years?

To quote Darryl Kerrigan .....They're dreaming. I'm sorry.

The 356C sold for approximately $6000. The 911 was 10+.

Anecdotally 50-60% of Porsche sales 1966-68 /9 were 912's.

In light of that fact 23 units over 5 years does not compute.

My late father lived through the period, and came very close to trading the 356 on a 912 more than once. 912's were more plentiful. Many were converted to 911's.

Go to any PC event in the late 60's and there were more 912's in attendance than 911's .

JR
                        Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Probably a reflection of the Australian economy and import tarrifs at the time. Certainly was the case for the last of the 356 models. For the price of the car you could buy a house. [/QUOTE]

Nothing much has really changed.

Comment

I found these pics
                            Glass guide 67, 912 (if 12 spec'd up would get closer) not that far behind the base 911.
                            Expensive cars.
                            I love these numbers threads.
                            As an example took years trying to find out that 148 rhd 75>77 3lt turbo's were produced.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 2 photos.
                            Last edited by mrar; 10-10-17, 06:27 PM.
                            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

People relate those 912 selling statistics from Europe and USA, they don't bear true here.
                              In the short time I have watched the market, Aussie 911 cars coming up for sale would outnumber 912 by a factor of 10.
                              But to be honest I don't give a **** either way, I am impressed by GeoffMs early build number though, good enough to get him on page 1 of the 912 database, and I note that it is already registered there.
                              Last edited by 9er; 10-10-17, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X