No announcement yet.

latest thoughts on batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard, I just pulled these put of the 911 E. There's nothing wrong with them, I only removed them because I'm a numb skull and fitted the genuine product. You should get a few more years out of them.

I believe they were fitted in 2017. You can collect them from the factory at your leisure.
    Attached Files

Comment

I fitted a pair of those Exides shown in the background at least 10 years ago, never been on trickle charge, and still plenty of crank when I went for a run on the weekend after not having driven for 6 weeks.................touch wood.
      Peter Williams #049
      Secretary TYP901
      1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Just FYI. I am running a small lithium motorbike battery in my 1972T. This car has a high torque modern starter and non-essential electrics (no radio, no interior lights, no clock). This battery has been in the car two years. Starts really strongly every time. Can sit for 3-4 months with no trickle charge and still starts just as strong. And the thing is only about 20x10x10cm and weighs a couple of KG. Chargers with std wiring and alternator. Std H4 lights and std bulbs else where all work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
          Just FYI. I am running a small lithium motorbike battery in my 1972T. This car has a high torque modern starter and non-essential electrics (no radio, no interior lights, no clock). This battery has been in the car two years. Starts really strongly every time. Can sit for 3-4 months with no trickle charge and still starts just as strong. And the thing is only about 20x10x10cm and weighs a couple of KG. Chargers with std wiring and alternator. Std H4 lights and std bulbs else where all work fine.

ok, you’ve got me interested now… model number? Would like to do some research - always thought lithium was too sensitive for this application (ie charging potentially too high a voltage)…
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Actually Rich, Lithium batteries need a igher voltage for charging than the std lead acid which is why I had to change charger settings on my yacht with new house batteries fitted. But I guess t depends on just how much you cycle the battery. On a cruising boat, batteries get many amp hours taken out of them whereas in a car, they never get a serious discharge unless you are cranking he starter over a lot if the car is hard t0 start.

If you are fitting batteries into front battery boxes, then the terminals need to be recessed like the ones in Carls pics. to avoind possible shorting out and ending up like Clydes car did with an electrical fire up front.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
              If you are fitting batteries into front battery boxes, then the terminals need to be recessed like the ones in Carls pics. to avoind possible shorting out and ending up like Clydes car did with an electrical fire up front.
              Thanks Phil - interesting point on the terminals. Have been googling, and there are certainly a lot of batteries that don’t meet this criteria. Was actually thinking that strapping the battery down and terminal covers would be enough… but maybe not??
              Richard Griffiths
              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post

Thanks Phil - interesting point on the terminals. Have been googling, and there are certainly a lot of batteries that don’t meet this criteria. Was actually thinking that strapping the battery down and terminal covers would be enough… but maybe not??
                Those batteries are missing the little plastic covers that sit over the terminals.

I’ve also lined the top of the battery box with some thin rubber sheeting just to be sure.
                Craig
                12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                1972 2.4E Targa project
                1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post

ok, you’ve got me interested now… model number? Would like to do some research - always thought lithium was too sensitive for this application (ie charging potentially too high a voltage)…
                  It is one of these

Exact model is LH20L-BS but you could pick a size/model that suits. They are built to be charged by normal vehicle chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post

It is one of these

Exact model is LH20L-BS but you could pick a size/model that suits. They are built to be charged by normal vehicle chargers.
                    thanks for the info.

it’s a slippery slope! Started googling why motorcycle batteries can’t be used in cars…

Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post

Those batteries are missing the little plastic covers that sit over the terminals.

I’ve also lined the top of the battery box with some thin rubber sheeting just to be sure.
                      Good idea on lining the box. Presumably could mount the battery on its side, but would need to cover the terminals somehow anyways…
                      Richard Griffiths
                      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

This was emailed from member Ed Holly to add to this thread;

Hi, Can you add an input into the Battery thread for an ex member please.
                        I and a mate have used Full River batteries for years. Last for just about ever. My mate when he built his Elan didn't realise the alternator wasn't working, started the engine dozens of times drove if for a couple of weeks before he found out charging wasn't working, even then it was giving power. The only time I had a problem was within a couple of days of buying a new one - was exchanged without question. They are a terrific battery. We use a HC 20 and in my case transfer it from Lotus Seven to Lotus Eleven to Lotus 20 and anything else that needs a run. Have started an E-Type with it once !

regards

Ed Holly
                        Peter Williams #049
                        Secretary TYP901
                        1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Thx Mr Upwey (& Ed!)
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

So, just a quick follow-up… bought new battery, but due to life factors haven’t managed to install it yet (so it’s sitting on the c-tek trickle charger on the garage floor).

yup, so if the trickle charger is keeping the new battery maintained… what’s keeping the battery in the car up to scratch? Yeah, nothin’!!

the voltage meter i have stuck in the cigarette lighter showed a paltry 8V this evening… nothing like enough to get the 911 rumbling. Which is where my latest birthday present actually came to the rescue - a second-hand-off-ebay iTECH2000A lithium jump starter.

Car started really easily - no idea how many times a unit like that could jump start my car, but pretty small unit to keep on hand even if it only did it a couple of times before needing a recharge.

Will update once the new battery is installed…
                            Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Rich what battery did you purchase?

Following the post from Ed Holly I purchased a Fullriver hc20 for my Caterham after its battery decided to die! Working well so far.

Although Ed has moved on many thanks for continuing to share his knowledge.

Comment

Went with a fullriver hc28…
                                Richard Griffiths
                                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Working...
                                X