Australian Delivered 1969 ST for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Delivered 1969 ST for me!

To those of you that have followed and helped me in this journey, you will know the feeling when your first 901 dream finally comes true!!

About 1 year ago I placed my first post introducing myself and was finally in a position to be able to seriously look for a 901. I am not a rich man and understood I was in the market for an imported, converted, average condition non matching car. Since that day I searched every morning and every night (literally) following leads, visiting the Fed Square display and chasing up your PMs.

Unfortunately in that time the market decided to spike and I thought I was out of contention, but all good stories need a happy ending. I decided I should go to Brisbane and look at the Group N ST look car that was on carsales.

While the PO knew what he had as a racer, What he didn't realise was this was in fact an Australian Delivered (Melbourne - 30th July)1969 car. He said he had only had a few Aussies look at it and a lot of calls from UK/US people. The other clincher was that anyone that rang first asking if he had it's original motor was not invited to look!

The car was ordered as a 1969 911T Coupe with Sportomatic and is still (re)painted its original blue metallic colour but now has an orange stripe. It was ordered with Brown leatherette with Pepita inlays and the following options: Exterior mirror right, Seat belt left diagonal torso and seatbelt right diagonal torso and Wheelhouse trim strips.

I will eventually return it to this original state after a while of enjoying it as a quick ST replica road car!
    But what is it today I hear you ask. It is a 2274cc with twin plug heads and Weber IDA3 46mm carbs, high torque starter, 10.4:1 compression, Ross pistons making about 240hp through a 901 box ('71 No. 911/01 7109535) with a ZF limited slip. It has fglass front guards, hood and bumpers and a welded in cage, running 7x15 rims all around and S calipers. The current engine case in the car is no: 9990XX with the type details 901/01 566. I think it has 906? cams but as my respected mechanic said is "very healthy... remarkably tractable around town but a bit noisy without a road muffler"

Anyway Ceva transported the car to me and when I opened the door, in it was an Aladdins cave of spare parts including a spare mag 3R case (no: 6116XXX), a set of heads, half of the interior, plus it's original hood and spare wheels etc!

This car was one of the first 911s to be entered in Group N and it came with mountains of paper work from all the rule writing and dealing with CAMS to establish the rules by which Porsches would run. It also has a comprehensive service record of all the work done to build and create the car over the last 16 years

Well, constructive criticism will be gratefully received but I'm warning you in advance, there will be lots of questions coming for you.

Now I know you need images so here it is!
    Attached Files
    Mark Branson
    1969 Australian Delivered 911 ST Replica.
    TYP901 Register # 349

Congrats Mark!

Comment

Nicely done Mark!
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Good on you Mark for hanging in there. Lots of fun ahead for you. it even has a correct 3-bar grille!

Comment

Definitely looks worth the wait Mark! Congratulations, enjoy.
          Tom Laube
          Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
          VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Congrats Mark

FWIW, the S calipers will be original to the car as it was delivered with a sportomatic.

What is the VIN? If it's an Aussie delivery there is a good chance the original engine is still about. Hugh may be able to help you determine.

Enjoy the car as it is... No matter what time you estimate it'll be off the road whilst you restore it - triple it.
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Nice find!

Comment

Good work! We should organise a Sa drive day?

Comment

Nice one.
                  Enjoy as much as you can before you start the works.
                  You can drive it & leave it anywhere & not care really. I would make the most of that.

Comment

Mark I think you'll find that's an Ozzie car and the engine or car originally built I think by Peter Hayes - was surprised it stayed on car sales so long!

Great first 911 buy !!!

Comment

Thanks guys!
                      It has been an amazing journey and there is a lot to learn but at least now I feel like a bonefide member!

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      Congrats Mark

FWIW, the S calipers will be original to the car as it was delivered with a sportomatic.

What is the VIN? If it's an Aussie delivery there is a good chance the original engine is still about. Hugh may be able to help you determine.

Enjoy the car as it is... No matter what time you estimate it'll be off the road whilst you restore it - triple it.
                      I did not know S calipers were associated with sportos!
                      That is good - something I can cross off the list of items needed.

It's vin number is 119100288 which Harry at PCM has confirmed as Aust Delivered but as we know he cannot tell the original engine no, and the two I have are not matching. The search starts.........

I am under no illusion that there is a lot of work to do but my first priority is getting it registered in SA which will mean a visit to our friendly inspectors.

Another image for good luck, just before the stickers were removed!
                      Attached Files
                      Mark Branson
                      1969 Australian Delivered 911 ST Replica.
                      TYP901 Register # 349

Comment

Well done Mark - congratulations mate.

That engine is pretty special, as I found out doing my DD on that car.

Comment

Well bought Mark, 2.3 ST's are the shizzle
                          Cam Arnott
                          Looking for engine #6208151
                          1970 911E (Sold)
                          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                          2 x Split Screen Kombis
                          TYP 901 Register # 78
                          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

What a ripper.
                            Got to be happy with that.
                            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Fish View Post

I am under no illusion that there is a lot of work to do but my first priority is getting it registered in SA which will mean a visit to our friendly inspectors.

Congratulations and well done! Good to see another 901 come down to Adelaide. For what it's worth, back in March, I drove my 2.2T straight from CEVA to the inspection 'shed' for a VIN check, and the bloke I had was terrific. He was more interested in learning about the car. He checked the VIN and engine number, and signed off the paperwork straight away. All surprisingly easy. Good luck with it. We do need an 'Adelaide Chapter' run
                              Scott Rackley
                              1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

Working...
                              X