X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

send it off the design people Jason mentioned with a few main criteria

901 / recognisable silhouette / shape
    stylised outline of Australia
    colours - let them decide - but somehow consistent with hues of early cars (irish green, orange / light blue)?
    no Porsche badges
    font in style of badges?

Anything else?

Small group decide (Clyde + 2 nominations?) - you know a camel is what a committee ends up with after starting with a thoroughbred!
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

The initial group who founded this club did a lot of work on our logo. Lisa Gregory also had a big hand in what we came up with. So let's not be in too much of a hurry to change it.

There are quite a lot of reasons why the logo and shape is what it is. The shield is reminiscent of the hood badge, the line drawing of the car is also obvious - simple yet highly recogniseable. The TYP901 in the number plate area harks back to the 1963 Paris Motor Show when the first 901 car was displayed with TYP901 as its plate. The maroon colour was also chosen for its period correctness.

So I would hesitate changing the logo just for sake of it unless someone comes up with a really classic design.

I will try to dig up some of the rejected designs that we looked at but from memory, they all had elements of the classic 911 shape whether a side profile or the front on shot we ended up with.

Attached is a shot showing 2 of the logos which we incorporated into the Annual club gatherings we had in the initial years of the club. One shows the rear of the car and the other, a side profile of the rear. Gives you all an idea of what we looked at before settling on what we have today.

Lets not lose focus on what this club is all about and our logo should truly represent this - which I think it currently does well.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by e72phil; 07-06-16, 10:57 PM.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

As I was looking for the old logo designs, I ran across lots of old pics of the club.

Here are a few from our first real gathering - a breakfast at the old Spyder Auto workshop back on June 27, 2004. A few recognisable faces, some with less hair now, some with more.

Plus Clyde has his first RS there on display. I bet he wishes he still had that one, plus his 73 S Targa that was also up on the hoist there.

Hands up who can remember this morning ?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by e72phil; 07-06-16, 11:01 PM.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Sorry Phil - I realised after I said I wasn't a great fan of the badge that it was the late Lisa Gregory who did a lot of work on it.... Lisa would be having words with me right now I imagine!

While I agree we don't want to simply change for the sake of it.... because the badge is part of our identity....the world changes around us.

I really liked the old Parade decals - I have one on my car (the silver / grey one) - from when the late Mark Goddard and I came down to Melbourne with my green car in 2005.

What I meant to say but didn't express at all well was production quality of the grille badge - the detailing and enamalling in partuicular. It lacked detail and the paint looked far too thick, and when you look at the type of badges you can get these days (even the ebay ones from India) you realise what is possible in the manufiacture of these badges

Whatever we do - be it make another run of the old badges, or evolve it sympathetically, we need to carefully select who is going to make them.... because the first ones really didn't do justice to the design (when you compare them to others available even early S). It is for that reason I never purchased one.

I'll happily be corrected, and am just putting my 2 cents worth in. Off my soapbox for the moment.

Justin
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I have no issues with the old badge, but we could run a design 'competition' and see what turns up? Bit like the national flag design competition.

Comment

My background was in advertising and marketing; and I like the concept of having an old school type membership badge akin to a lot of the period Porsche and event badges. While i think our badge was a great initiative and a credit to the original members I too believe it could do with a bit of a redesign to make it a bit more edgy.

Comment

I do agree with Justin about the build quality of the first grille badges and that we could get them done again in better detail.

It would be interesting to throw it out there to see what designs we might get, but they all must be sympathetic to what the 901 cars were all about. The quintessential shape of the 911 is moulded into automotive history and is the most recognisable sports car shape in the world . We surely cant mess with that !

That said, as was mentioned earlier, Porsche guard their brand with an army of lawyers and so we were very careful when we started and named this club. I did a lot of research on what available names we could legally use and TYP901 was available and legal and the only potential challenge was from the Bell helicopter company who had a trademark with 901 in it. Amazingly Porsche AG had jst about every other numerical combination with '9' in it covered.

So there are many aspects to our logo that need to be considered when a new design is contemplated. If it aint broke, then dont fix it.
                Last edited by e72phil; 09-06-16, 09:09 PM.
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Nice to see the photos of the old workshop in Moorabbin. I have fond memories of Lisa and Mike there. Also I quite like the 2004 inaugural meeting design, as it reflects the Register's history and Lisa's memory. So if we feel any change would spark things up, I'd support a derivative of that one.

Cheers

Paul M

Comment

I agree with Paul....I like the middle part of that sticker with the rear of the car and TYP901 written inside it. I have no issue with the current design but it's interesting to reflect that despite having the stickers and badge I don't use them because they never look "right" amongst the others I have on the car. They always seemed a bit out of place....it's no reflection on the design (which is good) but more to do with the aesthetic which feels modern relative to the others badges I use. Who knew this would be such a popular topic....ha ha

Cheers
                    Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
                    1994 993 (road car)
                    1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
                    1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
                    PCV #528

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
                      Sorry Phil - I realised after I said I wasn't a great fan of the badge that it was the late Lisa Gregory who did a lot of work on it.... Lisa would be having words with me right now I imagine!

While I agree we don't want to simply change for the sake of it.... because the badge is part of our identity....the world changes around us.

I really liked the old Parade decals - I have one on my car (the silver / grey one) - from when the late Mark Goddard and I came down to Melbourne with my green car in 2005.

What I meant to say but didn't express at all well was production quality of the grille badge - the detailing and enamalling in partuicular. It lacked detail and the paint looked far too thick, and when you look at the type of badges you can get these days (even the ebay ones from India) you realise what is possible in the manufiacture of these badges

Whatever we do - be it make another run of the old badges, or evolve it sympathetically, we need to carefully select who is going to make them.... because the first ones really didn't do justice to the design (when you compare them to others available even early S). It is for that reason I never purchased one.

I'll happily be corrected, and am just putting my 2 cents worth in. Off my soapbox for the moment.

Justin
                      I was charged at the time with finding a supplier, I had no hand in the design other than the thumbs up but I like the original design.

It was and is very hard to get someone to do a badge in limited numbers and as we had no clue to how many and we had and no money the company we used which was based in Bendigo would do them in small numbers............how do I put it politely.........they used staff who had trouble getting employment for a variety of reasons and as such the quality wasn't great.

Happy for someone other than me to grab this by the throat and run with it and see where it leads.
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

In the interim if a spare one is located please keep me in mind.

Many thanks

Dylan

Comment

To continue the club logo discussion, I finally found some of the logos and inspiration pics we looked at when designing the current logo. Here they are below for discussion if people feel we still need to look at a change.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

The Fuchs one appeals Phil?

Comment

I'm with Merv, I love the Fuchs one. I also like the two with silhouette of the rear of the car....

Cheers
                              Matt Read

1989 944 (rally car)
                              1994 993 (road car)
                              1994 BMW M3 (salt lake racer)
                              1999 GT3 (Nations Cup Championship)

Ex - 1967 912, 1970 911T, 1971 911T, 1971 911E, 1976 Carrera

901 #160
                              PCV #528

Comment

Agree with you Merv. Fuchs is the first preference.
                                Peter D

TYP901# 233
                                911T Coupe 68
                                911E Targa 73
                                911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                                1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X