No announcement yet.

Engine Grille 901 Registry Club Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the Fuchs version, much better than the current.
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Originally posted by Paul W View Post
      +1 on the Fuchs version, much better than the current.
      except we probably cant use it in that form unless we want to get into a legal fight with Porsche AG
      Hugh Hodges
      1973 E
      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Im a fan of the rear silhouette - it has some continuity as well as we used in some of the parades, and is recognisable as typ 901 (ie if an overseas member looked at it they'd remember we'd used it before. And we wont have the lawyers trying to stop us.

We dont need to change just for change's sake.

jr

Originally posted by HughH View Post
        except we probably cant use it in that form unless we want to get into a legal fight with Porsche AG
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

That assumes they own that IP, also image is so stylised to not be relevant.
          Paul Wischer
          1969 911T
          1979 Californian Moke

Comment

I was thinking about that Hugh, but that image has become almost generic these days. Perhaps worth checking with them (what ever we decide)?

We could also use a logo based on 901, as we know Porsche doesn't own that ...
            Last edited by Merv; 16-06-16, 05:55 PM.

Comment

This discussion seems to have gone way off track from the original request for a grill badge. Let us just stay with our known badge in a better quality.

Paul M

Comment

I agree Paul but to close the loop for some of the newer members, as I recall from the original discussions the use of the word "Porsche" was completely forbidden: law suits closed down organizations using that name for any purpose - including "PorscheList" or whatever it was called before it was forced to become "Rennlist" in the USA. They are also sharp on "911" hence our use of "TYP901". Phil had lots of discussions with them in Germany and we were left in no doubt that IF we wanted to use any of those things that distinguish the "Porsche" brand we would have only been allowed to be a sub-register of the official Porsche club. As a consequence, we would not be allowed to have a chat board like this which does not fit in with the corporate Porsche world and any website would have to conform to the official global template and be contained within the official web site - ie this group and site would not exist. It would be unclear if the wheel with, say TYP901, would be allowed to get thru as that was a distinctive piece of their advertising collateral from 1967 -1968 onward. The one thing that Porsche do even better than producing great cars and great race results is to protect their image and IP, and they still do it aggressively today - I would not like to be on the other end of their lawyers
                Hugh Hodges
                1973 E
                Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Fair enough Hugh, but I am not sure we are too off track Paul, as this is an opportunity to look at future options other than the existing badge, which we no longer have. I thought that Phil's list was quite useful, and there could be more suggestions.

Just as a point of curiosity, I thought that the Fuchsfelge registered wheels are independent and used for Porsche, BMW and Audi http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=5&L=1

None the less they would protect their IP, I guess.

Comment

Still after a grille badge if one is out there. Please let me know if you have one spare.

Thanks

Comment

If you google "grill badge porsche" the majority are round with writing that follows the curve. This makes it easy. For me, the crest doesn't strike me as porsche, but rather a generic trophy crest. It also creates a problem for the word "Register". Is Register needed on the grill? Could it be Australian TYP901?

There are some really beautiful examples of design and quality manufacture online. I would love an equivalent typ901 one for my 911, but the current one is just a little dated.

I don't mean to offend anyone involved in original. I just feel that a new production run of the current design would not attract the interest an updated design might have.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                        Fair enough Hugh, but I am not sure we are too off track Paul, as this is an opportunity to look at future options other than the existing badge, which we no longer have. I thought that Phil's list was quite useful, and there could be more suggestions.
                        My thoughts too Merv, though I'm somewhat biased as I've never liked current logo. Hugh I agree we certainly can't mention Porsche and given where they're to be mounted it's a little superfluous.
                        Paul Wischer
                        1969 911T
                        1979 Californian Moke

Comment

Here are the questions I can see from what's been raised so far:

- Do we just need to order more grille badges and that solves the current problem?

- Do we want a new logo, or just improve the quality of the existing grille badge?

- How many of our 140 odd members don't like the logo? Is this a big issue or just a vocal minority?

- If we want a new logo, do we want it to be distinctly 901 related? (Fuchs wheels just don't cut it on that score in my opinion)

- Could the current logo be 'refreshed' or altered somehow thereby providing a visible continuity to the efforts put in by the founding members?

- if we decided to go with a completely new logo, what's the process to find a design and how many members need to vote in favour of the change (noting the members who aren't active on the forum may still have a valid opinion)?

R
                          Richard Griffiths
                          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post
                            Here are the questions I can see from what's been raised so far:

- Do we just need to order more grille badges and that solves the current problem?

- Do we want a new logo, or just improve the quality of the existing grille badge?

- How many of our 140 odd members don't like the logo? Is this a big issue or just a vocal minority?

- If we want a new logo, do we want it to be distinctly 901 related? (Fuchs wheels just don't cut it on that score in my opinion)

- Could the current logo be 'refreshed' or altered somehow thereby providing a visible continuity to the efforts put in by the founding members?

- if we decided to go with a completely new logo, what's the process to find a design and how many members need to vote in favour of the change (noting the members who aren't active on the forum may still have a valid opinion)?

R
                            Good questions Richard. I think our forum software has the capability of holding a poll. Maybe that might be a good way to capture sentiment.

I think an essential question would be:

If we did a new run of the current grill badge would you buy one?

I think it would be pretty hard to get a purchase commitment on a new design
                            without seeing it. So questions like "If we redesigned the grill would you buy one?" would be pretty hard to get a good poll result.

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                              As I was looking for the old logo designs, I ran across lots of old pics of the club.

Here are a few from our first real gathering - a breakfast at the old Spyder Auto workshop back on June 27, 2004. A few recognisable faces, some with less hair now, some with more.

Plus Clyde has his first RS there on display. I bet he wishes he still had that one, plus his 73 S Targa that was also up on the hoist there.

Hands up who can remember this morning ?
                              I can definitely remember that first gathering. I'm the dorky looking guy with the white and navy blue track top. I'm pretty sure that's Dave Belford (wearing the turtle neck sweater and sash bag) standing behind Mike J (Mike is wearing the striped top). Classic...

Anyway, back to the grille badge discussion...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by damianroyce; 18-06-16, 09:21 PM.
                              Damian Royce
                              TYP 901 Foundation Member #12

Instagram: @classiccaraddict

Comment

...if that's Dave B, I'll eat my grille badge :p
                                Peter Williams #049
                                Secretary TYP901
                                1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Working...
                                X