No announcement yet.

Engine Grille 901 Registry Club Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see nothing seriously wrong with the current badge, but all things can be improved and brought into a more contemporary format. This is now a national and not a Victorian association (its genesis, of course thanks to long-term committed members), and since the old badge has run out we could look at a replacement based on ideas that we could seek to develop?

Comment

Originally posted by MrUpwey View Post
      ...if that's Dave B, I'll eat my grille badge :p
      Yep that's Dave B with the mullet......
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

I am glad we are having a healthy discussion re the logo design. We spent a lot of time researching the possibilities and yes, I did visit with the Porsche Clubs manager in Ludwigsburg on one trip to Germany who was well aware of who we are and encouraged us to join with PCV to become "official" with Porsche. But as Hugh mentions that comes with a whole lot of conditions, one of which is 'no Forums'. As this Forum is our virtual clubhouse, that just cannot happen.

I put up the logo designs and associated images to allow members to understand what was considered and why. Our underlying aim was to be a quintessential design that said '901 Porsche' without having to add a lot more. The shape had to be there and other things that clearly pointed to the timeless design that is a 901 .

Whilst we considered the Fuchs design, its not universally recognised as relating directly to the 901 cars (many had steel wheels).

Similarly use of the name Porsche or any model designator that had registered (and there are a lot) was forbidden and I can guarantee will attract the ire of Porsche lawyers. I have heard too many horror stories about anyone using the name, commercially or not; and fines of up to US$200,000 were not uncommon.

Obviously we wanted to respect Porsche's wishes yet uphold the heritage of this classic model which we all love.

I would tread very carefully on this one and , as suggested, hold a poll amongst members before we make any radical changes. we also need to show some respect for Lisa's memory and all the work shew did in the early days to help get this club off the ground. A lot of the new members will have no idea about these early days and how the Register came about.
        Last edited by e72phil; 20-06-16, 08:39 AM.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Well said Phil, also to correct what Merv said in post 46 (through not being there at the time rather than any other reason) the group was specifically set up to be "Australian" and represent all states including trying to have specific state reps in the early years, rather than "Victorian" as we recognised that the existing official Porsche clubs were primarily state based and by having an on line presence we could immediately go Australia wide. The club is registered in Victoria as an organisation as it has to be registered somewhere and all such licensing is state based.
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I'd buy a badge- either old or new.
            Last edited by 72_sporto; 19-06-16, 10:49 PM.
            Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

You all did very well at that time and showed great foresight and care in the process and I know we are all deeply appreciative of the outcome.

Sorry Hugh, I was really only suggesting that the actual membership of the Forum now seems to be much more geographically and numerously diverse than it was at origin. This may be wrong, however, and we may now have fewer members in fewer locations. The idea of state chapters was tried, without great success, from what you are saying. Form follows function. I can see that this is isn't large community and it does need to be registered somewhere and its place of origin is completely logical.

Back to the logos I like the "Registry" concept. Is there an actual Australian Registry? I can see the one on ESR and on the 356 Registry. I do like the 356 Reg logo as it is simple and doesn't use registered symbols.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Merv; 19-06-16, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                I am glad we are having a healthy discussion re the logo design. We spent a lot of time researching the possibilities and yes, I did visit with the Porsche Clubs manager in Ludwigsburg on one trip to Germany who was well aware of who we are and encouraged us to join with PCV to become "official" with Porsche. But as Hugh mentions that comes with a whole lot of conditions, one of which is 'no Forums'. As this Forum is our virtual clubhouse, that just cannot happen.

I put up the logo designs and associated images to allow members to understand what was considered and why. Our underlying aim was to be a quintessential design that said '901 Porsche' without having to add a lot more. The shape had to be there and other things that clearly pointed to the timeless design that is a 901 .

Whilst we considered the Fuchs design, its not universally recognised as relating directly to the 901 cars (many had steel wheels).

Similarly use of the name Porsche or any model designator that had registered (and there are a lot) was forbidden and I can guarantee will attract the ire of Porsche lawyers. I have heard too many horror stories about anyone using the name, comnmercially or not; and fines of up to US$200,000 were not uncommon.

Obviously we wanted to respect Porsche's wishes yet uphold the heritage of this classic model which we all love.

I would tread very carefully on this one and , as suggested, hold a poll amongst members before we make any radical changes. we also need to show some respect for Lisa's memory and all the work shew did in the early days to help get this club off the ground. A lot of the new members will have no idea about these early days and how the Register came about.
                Hi Phil,
                Is TYP901 not also registered to Porsche?

Comment

No Peugeot has all the 3 number combinations with 0 in the middle registered in France (and only France) which meant that in 1964 after the first few "typ901" cars were produced Porsche copped a legal letter telling them they could not use that name in France. Given the option of not selling the car in France or changing the name they opted for the latter and went with 911

Also to Merv's points:
                  The 356 registry is inside the official Porsche group of clubs but my understanding is that while there may have been pressure to bring their colours and "look" in line with the global Porsche look the fact that they were well established at the time meant that they got an exemption.
                  Early S and 356 registry do have an official "registry" of members and their cars that is available to all paying members but we don't have such a thing. There were a couple of early attempts to do something like that but there was not support for it or resources to do it properly from my memory.
                  Last edited by HughH; 19-06-16, 05:49 PM.
                  Hugh Hodges
                  1973 E
                  Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                  Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I don't have a dog in the race and respect the work the foundation members put in (especially Lisa). The fact that it's quite a successful little group speaks volumes.

I think it's normal and natural that after more than 10 years members might like to revisit or refresh a few things... After all there aren't too many car manufacturers I can think of that haven't changed up their own corporate identity with a change to colours, fonts, or "marques".

If opinions are being sought, I'd vote for a 'refresh' of the current design and let some genuine pros have a shot (I'm sure there's a couple on the board). Even consider farming it out to an independent graphic designer and do the due diligence to ensure Porsche doesn't flex it's overbearing presence.
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Here is a start, looking for constructive criticism :p

Thanks!

Cheers,

Harry.

Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH]18840[/ATTACH]

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Harry, I still like the shield design as it lends itself to stickers, embroidery, caps, grille badges etc. the longer banner style is OK for stickers but thats about all.

Thanks for going to the effort to produce some new designs for kicking around to the membership.
                            sigpicPhil Lack
                            R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                              Here is a start, looking for constructive criticism :p

Thanks!

Cheers,

Harry.

[ATTACH]18838[/ATTACH]
                              I like them. Simple and clear. There's no reason we can't use all three. The shield for a grill badge and the other two for T shirts or something else later on.

Comment

I like the second - perfect rear quarter window sticker.
                                John Forcier
                                1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                                1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                                Restoration Saga
                                1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Working...
                                X