No announcement yet.

I bought Merv's car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My attempts to return the car to delivery specs continue.

Wheels and hubcaps all installed back to delivery specs.

NOS horn butterfly installed now I have to de gloss the paint on the spokes of the steering wheel.

Front carpet almost 100% complete now too, need rivets for leather straps and glue for the side pieces.

I will purchase plastic battery cover and rubber strap along with a big hole drilled in the front slam panel to allow the correct water bottle to be installed.

IMG_7073.jpgIMG_7074.jpgIMG_7076.jpgIMG_7078.jpgIMG_7079.jpg

Last edited by Terminator; 24-07-18, 07:44 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Looking good Clyde!
      Do you have the plastic battery tray already?
      And can’t remember if you were going to complete original spec or not, but might be good to grab this even if it sits in a box to go with the car eventually;
      1968 air pollution control If some wants to put there 1968 US model back to original here the parts. Or use to repair there’s Price 650.00 Make offer Thanks David

Comment

I actually have one that I picked up Clyde. It is too small for that existing battery however.
        Last edited by Terminator; 25-07-18, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Don't have the top cover or strapa, base is still in the car but can buy them at Sierra or reach out as per usual

Merv had the engine guys plug all the holes in the case etc so stopping at redoing that system
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President

Comment

Porsche do them as well Clyde - same price and no postage.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
              I actually have one that I picked up Clyde. It is too small for that existing battery however.
              Merv

Do you have cover and strap happy to buy from you instead of one of the vendors
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                Porsche do them as well Clyde - same price and no postage.
                Thanks Ben
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

Sorry Clyde missed this. I have checked. The base is a repo one and top cover has been cut by someone in the past to accomodate the second cable. You can probably do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                    Sorry Clyde missed this. I have checked. The base is a repo one and top cover has been cut by someone in the past to accomodate the second cable. You can probably do better.
                    Thanks
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Time for an update on this car.

I bought this car sight unseen other than pics and phone calls and there have been some issues due to my lack of diligence.

In my opinion re paint is ordinary and quite a bit of bubbling was evident that has increased over time.

When I tried to drive it it would always run ****ty and on 5 cylinders and one day while attempting to idle in the factory it stopped. Upon restarting a massive clunk was heard and that was all she wrote...no more go.

I cracked the sads, pushed it on the car stacker and hit the up button and there it has stayed for over 2 years.

Only recently I decided to get it down truck to to Toby at Cairns to see what was what.

Thankfully at this stage it appears the fuel pump was the major gremlin and a new one of those has it running quite nicely and given that it had over $30k spent on an engine rebuild by the previous owner you would hope so.

The giant clunk is undiagnosed so we will wait and see if it ever re appears.

I will get my ceramic coating man to see if he can improve the paint surface the painters added paint and clear for the last coat apparently but that has left a soft surface which marks very easily. Ceramic coating should resolve that.

It's off for a roadworthy soon and then will add it to the driving rotation when we are able
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President

Comment

Clyde nice to see you back on the horse and not let it beat you..

Comment

Drove it for quite a while today and now the fuel pump is delivering fuel consistently and at the right pressure it is a different car.

Something about the free revving 2 litre cars that makes them endearing even though this is the lowest output of them all.

It is still a fresh engine with JE's and Nikkies (thanks to Merv) and as you would expect all compressions were great when tested recently.

The car came to me with fuchs and some other goodies that have been sold off to fund the new wheels etc etc. I think the SWB cars look best with chrome slot wheels as this car was delivered with.

So it was registered for the first time today still some things to do to return it closer to original spec like removing the home made sun visors and I think incorrect black roof lining, fitting a correct washer bottle and bracket, correct battery cover etc etc.

Next weeks job is ceramic coating to stabilise the paint surface which gets fine scratches far too easily

2020-10-26 11.23.23.jpg 2020-10-26 11.23.40.jpg
                          Clyde Boyer
                          TYP 901 Register Inc.
                          President

Comment

If you haven't already ordered, I might have a battery base and cover?

Plus you're going to need sugar scoops and side indicators to make it right
                            Last edited by 9er; 27-10-20, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                              If you haven't already ordered, I might have a battery base and cover?

Plus you're going to need sugar scoops and side indicators to make it right
                              Haven't ordered yet Chris and luckily no suppliers have the side indicators

Send me some info

2020-10-27 09.18.42.jpg
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

Hi Clyde,

Is it running a Hardi fuel pump or a Bendix?

Correct '68 only washer bottles are unicorns .... but it's all the little details that add up!

Comment

Working...
                                X