This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Guys

Ryan, as you can appreciate its real saga trying to get the right sized tyres for 15’ rims. I’m running 205/50’s front and 225/50’s, the 205’s not being available in a DJ01. Stucky’s recommended this combination as one they have had a lot of success with, particularly as the fronts are a little softer than the rears. The tyres, front rear alignment and other suspension settings have made a dramatic difference to the holding characteristics of the car.

As far as what’s in the back, there are some speakers mounted on the rear parcel shelf, which although a bit of an eyesore, have been done very professionally, and are better than the alternative that involves a ‘sawzall’… In the front peeking through the passenger side widow is my 2.5 yr old daughter, who like her sister is very enthusiastic about both the car and how fast it can go.

Phil, the rear guards have been flared and the internal lips ‘trimmed’. Other than a little neg camber dialled in by Mike J that’s it, and with plenty of clearance. The car will be doing some very light track work later in the year, but most of its very limited use is for nothing more than spirited runs when the opportunity arises.

Thanks for your comments Shane, I've sort of created what I wanted in the car, whilst keeping it as period and factory correct as possible. Nothing has been done to it that wasn't either a factory option or cannot be reversed, which given it's history, I've considered a priority.

Looking forward to putting some faces to names – ideally during an early morning run!

Regards,
    Paul Wischer
    1969 911T
    1979 Californian Moke
    TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

paul,

d01j's can be had in 205/50R15 and also 225/50R15. this is what i use on my RS rep (on 15 x 7 and 8's).

they can also be had in 205/55R15 (which have a 216 width). before my class allowed 50 series tyres i used these all round and loved them (plus you can rotate tyres)

also, my "what is in the back" question was intended to ask what your motor specs are!

Comment

Tony,

A definate answer on the air con....found an article that was in wheels that was talking about the 2.4 (Reg LCH 911).

Seems the factory supplied air con didn't fit/work with RHD cars so it had to be dealer fitted out here.

Also of note was the extra cost for a pair of Recaro Sports seats $116....now a lazy $4,000 - $5,000US if you can find them.

What is it they say about the stockmarket...time takes care of everything.
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President
        Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Here 'Tis

Greetings all, as requested here is some information on my car and the purchase as this seems to be a topic of interest.

The car is actually a shared ownership vehicle with my old man and brother in law. I think my enthusiasm and constant dribbling about the early 911's infected the other two and it made sense for us to go shares in it and cut down on the costs. Maybe another option for those finding it hard to fund a purchase? It was bought with the idea of entering the Classic Adelaide at some stage soon.

The car itself is a Hamiltons delivered '71 T that we bought from a chap in the Porsche Club of SA. It is a matching numbers car although the original engine (which we have) is in pieces and it is currently running a 2.4 S spec engine with Weber's in place of the MFI We also have all of the original interior although that too is parked in the garage with the original engine due to the interior being stripped out for motor sport events.

Mods are many but there's not much that cant be put back to original spec.
          They include fiberglass front & rear bumpers, 7R case, roll cage, velo seats, 6 point harnesses, Terratrip, bonnet pins, battery cut off switches, lowered with S sway bars, 901 box with Kevlar race clutch & 915 Shifter, ATS rims & also just bought set of Fuchs.

And all up its a highly entertain ride!!! Nothing quite like the effect of zero soundproofing!!! I shopped around and looked at a few cars (including the blue '71 T in Sydney) but nothing leapt out at me for quite a while until this one. I guess it had the appeal of having had a lot of work done to it to turn it into a bit of a tarmac weapon, including the fresh 2.4 engine and also having the original bits and pieces to return it to original specs if we wanted to.

Unfortunately the car is currently in Adelaide and I am in Darwin!! And yes i am experiencing a sense of deep longing and will be heading south to be reunited with my beloved shortly. I hope to bring it up here for a few months during the dry for some lap sprints and to take advantage of the open speed limits on NT Highways!

Anyway sorry for the long waffle, will try to post a picture but I only have some scanned photos so here goes.....Wont work will try again soon.
          Also I have to say I'd love to catch up with any members that may make it up this way at any time.
          Cheers
          Last edited by Terminator; 29-08-10, 09:32 PM.
          Cam Arnott
          Looking for engine #6208151
          1970 911E (Sold)
          '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
          2 x Split Screen Kombis
          TYP 901 Register # 78
          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

hey cameron

is that vic moore's old car? if so, i think you've done well. i checked it out last year during classic adelaide as a possible historic racing car but it wasn't exactly the model i was after. i thought it was pretty solid with a lot of nice gear.

you'll love classic adelaide - i've (we've - including nav) done it 5 times (best result 8th in classic in 05) and i'm already entered for next year's "porsche featured marque" event.

if you have any tarmac rallying questions i'd be happy to try and answer them.

Comment

Hey Ryan

Yes its Vic's old car, I spotted it at the Classic Adelaide as well, I try to go down each year if I can.

My bro' in law and I are hoping to enter this year too. Thanks for the offer of advice and your comments. Nice to know someone else thought it was ok too!

I'm slowly getting the hang of posting photos (I think)
              Cam Arnott
              1970 911E (Sold)
              2 x Split Screen Kombis
              TYP 901 Register # 78
              Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Cameron, welcome aboard, great to see someone from the far north has joined, especially with such a tidy car that obviously gets a fair work out. Nicely presented car, inside and out. Look forward to seeing it, if you can make it down here some time.

Comment

White line fever

Hey Cameron,

I may be up your way over winter training the police (you dont want to know !) , and will certainly try to catch up if possible. Will give you plenty of notice.

It sure would be nice to freight my 911 up there and "explore" part of the road down to Katherine once you pass those real "unrestricted" signs, although I doubt I would want do for hour after hour all the way down to Alice (did that 2 years ago with the family) . Amazing how well the old tarago rental went flat out (maybe 180 kph max indicated).

Despite the no limit roads, there still is a practical limit above which I would not want to drive as the roads just not up to it, plus all the stray animals and of course, other sleepy drivers...

But the pics below do look inviting....
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Mike & Phil, I'll also be in touch if I can make it to Melbourne at any stage, hope fully at one of the clubs events so can suss out some of the other vehicles in the club.

Phil, you obviously know what the weather up here is like from your visit but I should point out to others that our 'winter' involves every day being blue sky, 28-31C and about 11.5 hours of daylight.......

And yes I will be rubbing this in incesantly come June / July!!!

Perhaps a club event to the Top End would be in order to rescue to poor souls (and Cars) from the freezing winter...!!!??? If the Jaguar XK 120 Club can do it why not the vastly supeior Porsches? :wink:
                    Cam Arnott
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

When did the Jag club head up north ? did they drive all the way from the south or send cars by train to the Alice ?

the biggest problem with a trip like that is the time it takes. And the heat is still significant making it tough on our air cooled cars, especially if you are driving them at prolonged high speeds.

And yes pls let us know if you are in Melb for business or whatever and we shall make you feel welcome.

My office is only 10 minute for the airport so a 911 taxi may be available.
                      sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Phil

Not sure acutely how long ago now I think it was about 18 months or so and I'm not sure how they did it.

That said its now possible to transport vehicles on the train all the way through to Darwin.

Look forward to catching up in Melbourne one day. A 911 taxi ride, now that's my idea of heaven! Maybe a business venture there for someone?
                        Cam Arnott
                        1970 911E (Sold)
                        2 x Split Screen Kombis
                        TYP 901 Register # 78
                        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

New Whells!!!!

I thought I'd post a photo of the car with its new 'deep 6' Fuchs

Makes it look a bit better.....

Busy tracking down other cars here in Darwin and looking forward to the Easter trip to Adelaide and four days of driving heaven!!!
                          Cam Arnott
                          1970 911E (Sold)
                          2 x Split Screen Kombis
                          TYP 901 Register # 78
                          Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

New Whells!!!!

I thought I'd post a photo of the car with its new 'deep 6' Fuchs

Makes it look a bit better.....

Busy tracking down other cars here in Darwin and looking forward to the Easter trip to Adelaide and four days of driving heaven!!!
                            Cam Arnott
                            1970 911E (Sold)
                            2 x Split Screen Kombis
                            TYP 901 Register # 78
                            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Yes it does.
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

G'day All

Thought it was about time I did what Clyde told me and post a couple of photos of my '69T. I've owned it for a bit over 2 years. Hugh's records seem to show it as an Australian delivery but I am yet to check it out with Porsche Australia. It is not a garage queen and has had a bit of use including numerous trips to Wakefield Park to spectate and once to Phillip Island to help a mate race at the historic meeting in February.

Comment

Working...
                                X