993 to 901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old car was just over 1000 kg dry.
    Should end up around 950 kg, possibly a bit less.
    350 ish HP.

Comment

The old cage weighed in at 41kg. Going to put a bolt in 1/2 cage back in so will be 25kg or so lighter as a result.

My new 3.8 l barrels and pistons turned up at Mike Harris's place a couple of days ago.
      Pretty much everything here now to start the engine build.
      Attached Files

Comment

Any chance of a photo of the purple Porsche in the background? Looks rather special.

Cheers and enjoy the engine rebuild.

Paul M

Comment

That's Mike's, Fraise(I think that's what you call the colour) slant nose Cup Car from the 90's. Just one of the interesting projects he has on the go.
          He reckons if 901 prices keep going up he might be tempted do what I'm doing as it's based on a 70T.
          I don't have any full photo's of it unfortunately.

Comment

Jason my panel guy has spent a lot of time (And as a result my money) detailing the the interior of the car following the decision to cut out the roll cage. The intention is to have no carpet so everything has to be super clean.
            As with houses to pull off minimalism everything has to be near perfect.
            Still waiting on the rear parcel shelf panel but once that's in it's off to Mike Harris for welding in back cage mounts, strut brace mounts and a bit of sneaky chassis stiffening then back to Jason in 2 weeks for final paint.
            Attached Files

Comment

Kicking some serious goals there mate. Looks great!

Comment

This bodywork stuff is the relatively easy part.
                Getting everything I need to make this thing legally compliant and road registered is going to be where the pain starts.

Also need to make a call on the paint colour pretty soon.

Comment

interesting that you found the bodywork easy, I wonder how that happened, surely there were some challenging moments

Comment

quoting wheel sizes and hp figures from cars like 934 and show documented proof of these cars being for road use seems to put engineers at ease,hope that helps :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jonni View Post
                      interesting that you found the bodywork easy, I wonder how that happened, surely there were some challenging moments
                      Dealing with Jason is easy. He knows what I want and does good work.
                      Getting an engineer to sign off on the mods and dealing with Queensland Transport is where the fun begins.

Comment

Paul, Ozclubbies is a great forum to have a look at engineering/rego issues http://www.ozclubbies.com.au/ You may have to sign up (free)

These guys mainly build clubman style cars, but there are some interesting variations. Predominantly these are ICV (individually constructed vehicles) and most of these guys have to deal with the nuances of their respective States. There are a couple of engineers on the forum with excellent advice to offer. These guys do it the hard way and have to jump through a lot of hoops to get a VIN.

In Queensland, I think you're at quite an advantage (believe it or not). All that should be required for a production car with a pre 74 VIN is a safety certificate - there is no major reengineering of the chassis (right? ). The rear cage is relatively easy (Tim Pritchard got his done pretty painlessly through a mobile engineer who issued the certificate on the spot), or you can go with the bolt in option and just put it in later.

Engine wise, well it's as big or as small as you tell DTMR it is... From memory you're building off a 3.0 litre case? As jonni suggests, plenty of factory cars were built and road registered at this capacity. The Mad Scientist can write up a tech sheet on the car outlining its modest horsepower increase over stock and the upgraded brakes, wheels tyres, and suspension improvements to manage the Hp.

The thing I learnt over the years in Qld was that if the car is presented clean and clearly well engineered, the majority of the DTMR staff really don't understand or care... Especially about "vintage cars".
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Thanks for the advice John.

I'm trying to do things as "legal" as possible to minimise the litigation risk, should I ever be involved in an accident. Will also make the car easier to sell if I ever want to move on.

Queensland Transport have also told me that unless I can prove the car was registered previously they will treat it as an import and I'll have to go through all the hassle associated with that.

I'm pretty sure the car was registered in NSW before being converted to a race car so hopefully there will be a record of it.

I did a REVS check on the VIN when I bought it and the PPSR doc has a ref to NSW rego but no dates or plate details.

Trying to get a set of decent light weight race seats with ADR compliance is also proving to be a little challenging.

I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end.

Comment

Yes I know what you mean about doing it right... Shoot TimP a PM for the detail on the engineer he used - apparently a 'race car' guy and he'll come to you for all your blue Mod-plate needs. It would be nice if MH kept his ticket for this stuff

I stand to be corrected, but don't Velo do an ADR approved race seat? Otherwise you could chase down some genuine 968CS buckets?

I may well have the same rego issues with the green 68 car in the future as I don't have any paperwork relating to previous registration - though I was assured it was registered in Victoria 20 years ago.
                            John Forcier
                            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                            Restoration Saga
                            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

John, the AOMC has the old VicRoads registration records, do you have a rego number?

Paul M

Comment

Yes car was registered in nsw before being turned into a race car..... It was owned by my friend the late Tony McKnight.

Interestingly it was registered typ 901 from memory. Tony sold the car around 1995.

Justin

Originally posted by Paul Ford View Post
                                Thanks for the advice John.

I'm trying to do things as "legal" as possible to minimise the litigation risk, should I ever be involved in an accident. Will also make the car easier to sell if I ever want to move on.

Queensland Transport have also told me that unless I can prove the car was registered previously they will treat it as an import and I'll have to go through all the hassle associated with that.

I'm pretty sure the car was registered in NSW before being converted to a race car so hopefully there will be a record of it.

I did a REVS check on the VIN when I bought it and the PPSR doc has a ref to NSW rego but no dates or plate details.

Trying to get a set of decent light weight race seats with ADR compliance is also proving to be a little challenging.

I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end.
                                Justin Reed
                                aka Reedminor
                                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                                1961 356B #114700
                                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                                X